Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Scotish coast to coast

Hi all - it looks like I've been roped in to a charity ride, unfortunately the folks who are doing it are not regular cyclist, and other then having the idea of riding from one side of Scotland to the other have little idea of what’s involved. Basically they are talking about riding from Stranraer to Dunbar – any body have an idea about a route probably most important a route profile?
One of the guys, indeed the originator of the idea, needs to get hold of a bike. The problem been he is 6’3”” and 20 odd stone of former Rugby player – any ideas of makes, model and sizes
Thanks for the help

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

neilwheel | 13 years ago
0 likes

Oops! My reply got lost...

That's a pretty hard route for casual/recreational riders as it goes right across the southern Uplands.

A more realistic route would be a C2C following the Forth & Clyde canal from Bowling Harbour to south Queensferry. A variation of this would be to turn off the F&C at Falkirk Wheel (rest stop) and take to the Union canal for a Central Edinburgh finish.

Both routes are do-able in a day and you're never far from civilisation in the event of mishaps. Depending on the time of year, you can choose route direction to take advantage of the prevalent winds. Nothing like a tailwind to help you out near the end of a ride! This time of year, start in the west; in spring its best to start from the east side.

breakneckspeed | 13 years ago
0 likes

Ok - I've managed to plot out a route - but not that sure how well it translates on the ground - I'd be realy intrested to get any comments from locals
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/434032
ta

Latest Comments