Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Power Meter - Can't decide

Hi

I am entering into the world of Power Meters, and as I have a Cannondale Synapse with their spiderings I have narrowed this down to either the Garmin Vector S (cant afford both) or the Stages.

My condry is that I currently have Speedplay pedals and love them due to their ease of entry / exit and they are dual sided and would need to ditch these if I went with the Vector - which I am considering more than the Stages.

Has anyone got any experience of ease with the Vector pedals?

What are people's view on the Stages?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

dhague | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wouldn't the Cannondale-specific power2max work for you?

http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/Produkt/power-meters-en/power2max-type...

You'd get to keep your Speedplay pedals, and the power2max is a well-regarded power meter that's one of the more affordable options for Europeans.

mtbtomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm on my 5th Stages under warranty - all with declining battery life after the first battery is changed.  The current one is a G2 which touch wood seems a bit better.

Just bought a Pioneer single leg which is cheaper and claims IPX 6 and IPX 7 (or is it 7 and 8?) which means it should be jet wash proof and immersion proof up to 1m.

The 4iii single side is cheaper than both those.  I don't think I'd buy another Stages unless it was for the mtb, which 4iii and Pioneer don't do.

I run Speedplay pedals too.

turboprannet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have been doing my own head in for the last few months trying to decide between Powertap, Stages, Vector, Limits (erm...), Infocrank etc etc.

I ended up getting Stages G2 even though most of my mates are on Powertap. For me it was budget, pedal choice and ease of change between bikes.

I am just starting out but I think it is going to be the best £500 I've spent (I got the 6800 one).

I have heard good things about all of them, apart from Limits which has been really disappointing. What swung it for me ultimately was that the G2 model has apparently resolved the water ingress issues of the first generation.

Guernsey Donkey | 7 years ago
0 likes

If it's down to just those two then go for the Stages G2.  Stages lets you use any pedals where as the Garmin restricted to Look (or Shimano 6800 with the exchange shafts).

I have Vectors (the dual system) on one bike and now have stages on my winter bike.  The Garmin has had the occaisional glitch where the pedals would not talk to each other. The Stages has been rock solid so far.

The only possible issue could be if you have uneven leg power.  A single leg system could then over or under read your output.  I have found from the vectors that my split is 50/50 hence going with the cheaper stages on the second bike.  This might not be an issue for you even if you have uneven legs as data consistancy is probably more useful than accuracy. (comparing ride to ride on the same power meter rather than using more than one meter)

Latest Comments