Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A winter bike frame

I've been looking a cheap(ish) road bike frames with mudguard mounts and some clearance for mounting them.

Two alternatives are often talked about 

1. Ribble Winter Audax 7005
  2. Kinesis Racelight T2 

Is the extra 167 GBP for the Kinesis worth it? Has anybody had the pleasure of riding both? do you have any advice

Are there any alternatives worth considering.

I'll be using it for commuting duties (12 miles a day )and I have a tiagra groupset for fitting plus some superstar wheels.

Thanks

Gavin

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

gmac101 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I bought the PDW's to fit to the allez but they never really fitted well, the clearances were just too tight. There's plenty of room on the T2 though. Saddle seemed fine, but I'm only on the bike for 25-30 minutes at a time

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

Are those PDW 'guards I spy? Nice.

Your saddle looks like it's pointing downwards though?

gmac101 | 7 years ago
0 likes

A thanks to all those who commented back in the summer. I bought the T2 (old version discounted at ProBike) It's survived its first week commuting on the mean streets of SW London.  It copes well lumpy streets and it feels smoother than my last frame (a Specialized Allez) Just need some rain now 

gmac101 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Well given how much everybody likes them this may be a longshot but as Handlebarcam suggests I'll need a 57cm T2 frame if there is one gathering dust anywhere?

gmac101 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Kinesis Racelight T2 it is then!

I'l have to save for another couple of months.  Thanks for all your comments I really appreciate everybody taking time to share their experiences with the different frames.  

I'll put a photo up when it's finished

Gavin

handlebarcam replied to gmac101 | 7 years ago
1 like

gmac101 wrote:

I'l have to save for another couple of months.

If you post what size you are looking, for someone might know of a good deal in a LBS, or have something in their garage.

Hensteeth | 7 years ago
1 like

I have just got a kinesis racelight. I absolutley love it. What a lovely bike to ride. I have upgraded from a felt f95 which was my first road bike in 2013. Was using it for commuting but the lack of mudguards was a problem especially as I am about to move and my commute is going to be about 10 miles. I also have a full carbon Verenti Insight 0.2 (rebranded Ridley) and the Kinesis is a better ride imo. Even though it is heavier it just seems so much more responsive. I got mine as a full bike from Merlin Cycles. Currently doing it at £680. The supplied mudguards were twisted when I tried to fit them so going to get them replaced.
But absolutely love the bike. I am considering selling the carbon bike to buy a frame and make up a summer bike with better components and some good wheels. Did my first decent ride on Sunday. 50 miles at average if 18.4. Fastest I have ever done 50 miles.
Also considered the Ribble but the 23mm tyres put me off.
Edit: frame size is 60cm for me. I am 6'2" and it is perfect size wise. A bit bigger than my felt which is 59cm and a bit smaller than the verenti which is a large.

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have the Ribble, with 23s on it.  I have mudguards, but as someone said, clearance is pretty tight.

This winter (am still riding it, given all the rain...) I have got on with it much better than previous years, but there's something about it that I don't quite gel with in the way I do with most of my other bikes.

I have not tried the Kinesis (I bought my Ribble before I was aware of Kinesis), but I have heard such consistently great things about them that I would probably try that next time, rather than the Ribble.

You probably won't go wrong with either, but something makes me think the Kinesis will be better!

Sniffer | 7 years ago
0 likes

I bought a Kinesis Racelight T2 18 months ago and have not been disappointed.  I use it for a similar commute, winter training rides and did a 4 day trip round the Westrn Isles last year with a rack and panniers added for light touring.

I like the fact it has race geometry and I can get a set-up like my best bike.

Some great deals on it avaialble.  I bought a complete build like this

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/74046/Kinesis_RaceLight_T2_Bik...

which is great value at £600.  Didn't think much of the tyres and the pads on the Tektro brakes need an ugrade, but these are consumables anyway.

Probikekit have some discounts on Kinesis frames at the moment too.

If I change this in the future I might go Kinesis again.  4S with discs.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
1 like

Love my T2. Can throw it around like a 'faster' bike and fit decent mudguards and tyres.

Been looking at a TK3 for another build, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Stu Kerton | 7 years ago
1 like

I've owned both over the years. In fact I had two of the Ribble's.

For the money they can't be knocked but my current T2 is on a different level and well worth the extra money. The T2 is more responsive and just an all round nicer ride - I wrote a blog a couple of years back when I bought it and although it's changed a bit since then I still love it to bits.

The one problem with the Ribble is that it's not really designed for mudguards, it'll take them but even with 23's on the clearance is very tight.

If you can afford the extra outlay for the T2 then go for it, you won't be disappointed. 

gmac101 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks keef66 - Yes I'd spotted the 23mm limit on the Ribble frame, I commute at the moment 23mm's so it wouldn't be the end of the world, I've only read good things about the T2 frame but trying to work out if the extra money is worth it + the new brakes!

Carytb - The GT Grade doesn't seem to be available frame only- unfortunately

Thanks All

Gavin

carytb | 7 years ago
0 likes

GT Grade Claris. I got one and its brilliant. Not really noticed its only got 8 gears at the back

keef66 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I can only say I've had a Racelight Tk for nearly 9 years now, and it's been a fine year-round bike. The T2 is the same geometry, just a tad heavier.   Road bike geometry and clearance / mountings for proper mudguards and 25mm tyres.  It does require long drop brakes though, so you'd need to factor in buying them and selling the Tiagras.

I think the Ribble saya a max of 23mm tyres, which I think is a bit skinny for winter / commuting

Latest Comments