Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

ankle injury

I did a 120km hard ride yesterday on my tt bike (training for half and full ironman races). After about 90km the inside of my right ankle was getting sore so I eased up a little. After finishing the ride I did a quick brick session (bike to run) and ran hard-ish for 5km. Again, my ankle was sore.

I know I should have eased up but as I had a day off work I didnt want to waste it. This morning I woke up, swollen ankle, very sore going up and down stairs. Cant pedal.

Any ideas what Ive done and how best to fix it? I have a couple of races coming up plus I had planned to ride up the tourmalet in 2 and a half weeks time when in France.

Help!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

gandberg | 13 years ago
0 likes

Arnica is currently used in liniment and ointment preparations used for strains, sprains, and bruises. Commercial arnica preparations are frequently used by professional athletes. The thymol derivatives concentrated in the plants' roots have been clinically shown to be effective vasodilators of subcutaneous blood capillaries. Arnica preparations used topically have been demonstrated to act as an anti-inflammatory and assist normal healing processes by facilitating transport of blood and fluid accumulations through a dilating action of subcutaneous blood capillaries.

If its on wiki, it must be right, right?

I started using arnica after reading an interview with Martin Johnson of poor rugby management fame. He swore by it, and in his playing days must have had the shit knocked out of him. I didnt mean arnica was going to prove a miracle cure, just an aid.

Cheers.

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all of the help, kindly recieved.

I fear I have fallen into the stupid trap of thinking I could just run it off. Hopefully with a week or so of rest it will sort itself out.

Thanks!

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

And I would add - keep it mobile. Sit with it elevated and circle your ankle.

(Diclofenac is supposed to be good, though I've never taken it myself. If you do take it and die shortly afterwards, make sure you aren't given a "sky burial", because it is toxic to vultures.)

vorsprung | 13 years ago
0 likes

Do not ride until it is feeling good again
Do not be tempted to have "just a short ride" while it is still hurting

Do follow the advice for RICE

Also ibroprophen can be good but don't let it fool you into thinking the pain has while the cause is still there

I wouldn't bother with arnica

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

Ice 10 mins max couple of times a day for a 3 days.
Then see your GP if its still not better.
Listen to the body next time-there is pain of workout and there is injury pain-stop physical activity straight away.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

RICE: rest, ice, compression, elevation. some good pointers here: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/sprain_4.htm

gandberg | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hello

Arnica from your local pharmacy. It helps me recover from knocks gained. You can get it in cream form or in little pillules to ingest. There should be a bit of info on what it does on the stand in the chemist that is selling it. Rhus tox is another one you could try.

Good luck healing up.

Latest Comments