Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should I replace stock formula hubs and Alex ATD 470 rims

Hi,

New joiner here but have been reading the forums for a while gleaming bits here and there and decided to join. 

I used to ride mountain bikes only bit have decided to get back to more road focused rises too.   I got a Norco Threshold cyclo cross bike and enjoyed it immensely so when it got stolen I upgraded on the replacement to one of these adventure gravel bikes.   So now have a Jamis Renegade Expert though I am far from an expert. 

Question as per title,  and apologies for the rambling,  it's it worth upgrading the stock wheels - I will be doing more road riding on it with little bits off road still and since I weigh 103kg I need them to be durable and light -ish.

Also not trying to spend more than 350.

Any suggestions? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

The Sledge | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have JRA jawbones on my dry weather carbon road bike - fantastic wheel set, much lighter and  smother than the Ksyrium Elite they replaced. Smashed every single PB on my regular Strava climbs around Langsett and Strines within a month of fitting them.Mine are the non disc version and I'll definitely be replacing the Alex ATDs that are on my GT Grade with jawbone discs when I can afford it.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that I'll have a look and see what I end up with.  Was thinking the stock wheels for the dirty work and the newbies for road but I don't know if I'll end up with anything better than i already have for the price.   

Will look at the tubeless thing a bit more too.  I'm torn between jra and superstar as I live near superstar and work near jra so they both for into local wheel builders in a sense and I believe in keeping it local wherever I can.   And as I work in Sheffield my lbs has turned out to be Evans since Halford bikes are all too small since I'm 6'4''  and the other bike shop in Sheffield has given me really bad advice in the past.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Fukawitbride - thanks for that appreciate the comments. The rear is 142 x 12 and the temptation is to get another set for more road based days - for about 300 I could get some hand built h plus son archetypes on jra hubs.
Or I just put road tyres on what I have. Not able to go much above 300 for the wheels though.

fukawitribe replied to Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Johnnyvee wrote:

The rear is 142 x 12 and the temptation is to get another set for more road based days - for about 300 I could get some hand built h plus son archetypes on jra hubs. Or I just put road tyres on what I have. Not able to go much above 300 for the wheels though.

For bombing about, especially off-road, these might be worth a look for 160 quid...

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/alexrims-atd550-11speed-aero-disc-...

The AT 500 rim is 622X17 and 560g, so not light and about 85g/wheel heavier than the AT 470s - those wheels are also 32 spoke front and back, but that might be useful if you're 105kg and giving it some Turkish off-road  1 Still the whole wheelset is only a tad over 1900g, 30mm rims, tubeless ready and the hubs are basically Novatechs with all the bearings removed and replaced with SKF throughout. Chuck on some WTB Cross Boss TCS or similar and a splash of Stans and you're laughing, all for under £ 200 with a bit looking   4

Have fun whatever you end up with.

Cheers

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

2p worth - the hubs are what they are, definitely not the worst, and at least the bearings are easily and cheaply replaceable / upgradeable. The rims are not too heavy, decent internal width and tubeless ready. All in all, that's pretty decent - plenty of lighter stuff around but i'd say no compelling reason to upgrade. That said, if the rear hub is 135mm (rather than the 130mm the older Jamis disc bikes had) then there are a lot of cheap wheelsets that crop up (superstarcomponents, Planet X etc) so a second set with road tyres on is always a temptation...  1

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ha ha.
Done good points. I suppose my question should have been are they decent wheels.
I ride every other morning for up to an hour of road and woodland trails and then do a ride of up to two hours at the weekend.
Last cx bike I had I put some Pro Lite Revos on and it made a huge difference but the stock wheels on that bike were bad - I kept breaking spokes.

P3t3 | 7 years ago
3 likes

Replace them when they wear out. If you don't wear them out then you aren't doing enough riding to justify replacing them.

Only other question: are they round?if they aren't round then consider replacing...

Latest Comments