Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is correct cleat positioning simply what feels 'right'?

Just swapped over from MTB style SPD to SL ones and I just can't seem to find my sweet spot.

I've read the articles, watched the videos, placed accordingly but just can't gel. I've spent 3 days messing about buy that pair of comfy pair of slippers feeling just isn't there.

I even did the leg dangle of a table adjustment as my right foot hangs to the outside doing that but that feel even worse.

Should I endure what initally feels wrong but is supposed to be right or still search for what feels right?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
1 like

I found this absolutely perfect for me and a friend:

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

For a start, it recognises that there are different styles of fit for different folks.

Just follow the calculator and then see if you're close.

sergius | 7 years ago
4 likes

To give a counter-point, I had a bike fit after experiencing some knee pain once I started riding more often and longer.

After £450 on parts + the cost of the fit; I found it made things even worse.

I then did a load of research (Steve Hogg has a ton of info on his site which worked well for me) and spent a weekend riding making lots of minor adjustments via trial and error; and have been pretty much pain free since.

You can do it yourself.

Grahamd | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for a bike fit.

Had one last year as I couldn't get sufficiently comfortable on my new bike. Best money I spent. Apart from saddle and stem changes, was recommended some insoles for my shoes, which made a difference even though I had correct cleat positions.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
1 like

I had a bike fit for £50 the other week. He changed my cleats - they were OK before but now they're even better.
If you live anywhere near Worksop it's worth doing a search for Andy Bishop bike performance. Reasonable cost and the he was recommended by word of mouth by a local proper roadie. Well impressed.
I have no affiliation just a happy customer and seems a few travel quite a way for a fit. It's an option perhaps.

trohos | 7 years ago
1 like

Don't hear anyone, make a fit. Is the only right way. Think how much pain, money and bike hours you will lose if something go wrong. 

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
1 like

I would definately advocate a bike fit No offence intended but there is some spectacularly bad advice being given out on the internet about where to put your cleats your saddle etc.

You can have a basic bike fit done for £100 which is what the price of a lunch out? it's nothing in comparison to, at best a lot of time wasted, at worst giving yourself a potential injury.

It take a couple of hours and if they're reputable then you should be able to go back and get a second consultation to see how you are getting on with the fit.

HarryTrauts replied to SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
6 likes

SingleSpeed wrote:

You can have a basic bike fit done for £100 which is what the price of a lunch out? 

Where do you each lunch?!

stenmeister replied to HarryTrauts | 7 years ago
4 likes

harragan wrote:

SingleSpeed wrote:

You can have a basic bike fit done for £100 which is what the price of a lunch out? 

Where do you each lunch?!

For less than £100 you can buy a Park Tools Home Mechanic Tool Kit allowing you to do it yourself and also leave some money for a Greggs roll and coffee.  

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-home-mechanic-starter-kit-s...

zedthegreat replied to SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

You can have a basic bike fit done for £100 which is what the price of a lunch out? it's nothing in comparison to, at best a lot of time wasted, at worst giving yourself a potential injury.

Where do people find these sub £100 fits? I have been looking and can't find anything under £150 and most nearer £200! Am I just being ripped off in London or am I missing something?

Beecho replied to SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
1 like

SingleSpeed wrote:

I would definately advocate a bike fit... if they're reputable

After years of honing my own set up, I had a proper fit in January. Really happy with all of the adjustments, except the cleat position. Sore knees and weirdly a sore ankle after an hour in the saddle. Company used have a good rep and communication is good, but I don't see how anyone can nail the cleat position from a computer and looking at posture/stance. I'd gladly listen to reasons. In the meantime I'm going back to setting my cleats myself. So wish I'd taken a picture of my old set up. Dickhead here came home all excited and instantly changed all his shoes...

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I tried siting my SPD cleats so that they're as far back as they can go, with the aim of adopting a midfoot pedaling position. It just felt so strange. Wasn't comfortable for me personally, so I went and adopted the more traditional "ball of foot over pedal spindle" placement.

I understand going midfoot with cleats has more potential benefits for MTB riders, especially downhill riders, since they're all about maintaining pressure "behind" the pedals instead of "on" them for riding security purposes. Most of my riding is on the road though, so it didn't apply to me so much.

CeltaWarrior | 7 years ago
0 likes

Need a set back cleat position? Check:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/152455458004?

BBB | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you had any problems with your SPD pedals/shoes?

Yorkshire wallet replied to BBB | 7 years ago
0 likes

BBB wrote:

With the old spds, just a mild hot spot on the right outside ball after a couple of hours use. Other than that, no.

Went out for about 90 mins yesterday and had about 30s of pin and needles in the right foot when I stopped and I was getting a bit uncomfortable in right outside ball area. More tweaking required.

I am starting to think it's perhaps the shoe fit itself as it just doesn't feel right on the right foot even before I pedal.

ibr17xvii replied to Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

BBB wrote:

With the old spds, just a mild hot spot on the right outside ball after a couple of hours use. Other than that, no.

Went out for about 90 mins yesterday and had about 30s of pin and needles in the right foot when I stopped and I was getting a bit uncomfortable in right outside ball area. More tweaking required.

I am starting to think it's perhaps the shoe fit itself as it just doesn't feel right on the right foot even before I pedal.

I suffer from pins & needles but usually only in 1 foot & only on longer rides.

I'm still fiddling around with cleat position but have also tried different shoes, not having the fastenings as tight, Superfeet insoles, different thickness of socks but still can't seem to cure it.

madcarew | 7 years ago
4 likes

Having fitted quite a lot of non-athlete people to  bikes (as well as a few athletes), the efficiency of power transfer is a tiny minor percentage once you get your saddle position close, and in my experience injury prevention and comfort come before other considerations when it comes to cleat position. Comfort and injury prevention seem to go hand in hand (or cleat in shoe). So, unless you are Alex Dowsett looking to knock another 3 sec off yr TT record, then go for comfortable.

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
1 like

Well I got hold of a free pair of those mouldable insoles. I'm going to give those a try to see if I can that snug and even feeling as my feet aren't entirely even for a start. One side has a bigger toe and the other side is thinner. 

I did a bit more tweaking before I rode home tonight and they feel the best they have done so far. I shall persevere.

mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

If your only concern is avoiding injury then I guess if it feels right it must be right.  But if you are also looking for maximum power transfer and ease of clipping in/out you would do well to follow one of the YouTube videos on the subject.  Try several.

Are you sure it's not the newness of the SLRs that's putting you off?  They do feel a little softer and more vague than SPDs.

In fitting the new cleats you haven't disturbed the inner shoe in some way?

Keep going!

Latest Comments