Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A load of non-science

I was looking yesterday to buy new tyres for my road bike following a puncture that sliced through the side wall making the tyre unusable.   My currrent tyres are Michelin, so I went to Wiggle to see what is available: new Michelin tyres it turned out.

The Michelin Power Competition Folding Road Tyre is so good that, '10 watt reduction in rolling resistance equates to the Power Competition being 1 minute and 25 seconds faster over 40 km, at a speed of 35 km/h. This is a huge huge 25% reduction in rolling resistance.'

I read it and re-read it, but no, it does not make any sense at all.  40 km at 35km/h will take the same time no matter what tyres I put on the bike.  I seem to remember similar claims from wheel manufacturers about the wheels being quicker over a one-hour time trial.

Any other examples of bad science out there?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

Maybe just bad grammar or translation, perhaps the intention was "10W reduction at a speed of 35 km/h, which equates to the Power Competition being 1 minute and 25 seconds faster over 40 km. This is a huge huge 25% reduction in rolling resistance." That is also inline with how they have quoted performance gains elsewhere for this and other Power tyres, e.g. 

Quote:

The Power Endurance is aimed at the sportive and distance rider. It achieves a claimed 20% increase in puncture resistance, with increased grip and an efficiency gain of 8.6 watts relative to the Pro4 Endurance, equivalent to 63 seconds over 40km at 35kph.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/new-michelin-power-tyre...

They also certainly seem to have very good rolling resistance, e.g. 

Quote:

So does the new Power Competition really have 25% less rolling resistance when compared to the Pro 4 Service Course? Yes, it does! At an air pressure of 120 psi, rolling resistance comes in at 10.9 Watts which is indeed close to 25% less than the Service Course.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/michelin-power...

Decent science from them, worth looking at their figures.

Latest Comments