Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Racing 3 Freehub Problem

Since servicing the hubs on a Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelset I have noticed that the free hub is looser than it was  and should be and that this is leading to an element of play in the cassette.  Tightening the bearing collar non-drive side makes the rotation too rough and at the current setting there is no play in the axle. This leading to be believe that this part of the installation in is correct. When fitting the freehub the right/collar no longer passes all of the threads on axle and I think that this is the issue. Problem is that no matter what I do I can’t seem to get it to fully pass the threads. Can anyone advise me?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

pablo | 7 years ago
0 likes

If it's anything like the freehub on my 5's you need to remove the circlip From inside the body to knock the outside bearing through.  Not sure why they say these freehub  aren't serviceable really easy to do for less than a tenner.  I saw a comment on wiggle from a guy who bought a new wheel set because his LBS said his fulcrum freehub wasn't wort repairing and he might as well get new wheels. Shocking! 

markybains17 replied to pablo | 7 years ago
0 likes

pablo wrote:

If it's anything like the freehub on my 5's you need to remove the circlip From inside the body to knock the outside bearing through.  Not sure why they say these freehub  aren't serviceable really easy to do for less than a tenner.  I saw a comment on wiggle from a guy who bought a new wheel set because his LBS said his fulcrum freehub wasn't wort repairing and he might as well get new wheels. Shocking! 

I understand now. Had a mental block yesterrday and I was thinknig about the wheel/axle bearings. Called the LBS today and they qoted about £30 quid for the freehub bearings. Do you reckon its a DIY?

markybains17 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks! It's a good video on YouTube and I think that I've followed it but there is something not quite right leading to the metal collar ring which goes on top of the  Freehub not clearing all of the treads.  I'll start again. Thanks again, Mark

stuartcoupe | 7 years ago
1 like

from memory there were some videos from fulcrum on how to get the freehub body off and back on. that would be the first step. inside the body there are the two bearings.

as for the bearing replacement, I spent a while reading a few forums and pieced it all together from that.

dont have any links to hand but a google should get you moving on this....

markybains17 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Stuart. Are there any links available?

stuartcoupe | 7 years ago
1 like

My racing 3 had a similar sounding problem. It turned out to be the two bearings in the freehub body.

A new freehub body is quite expensive but you can change the bearings. Googling around I found out enough info to replace them myself. I did need to invest in some circlip pliers to get it done.

Latest Comments