Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Another which Bike

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but have been reading a lot of good content from the reviews section. Thanks.

I'm down to two bikes :

2015 Felt AR5 which is marked down to $2150 Canadian. (8.1kg 58cm)

2016 Giant TCR advanced 2 $2150 CAD

Both have the full 105 group set. They both have house brand wheels. Any experience on which is better? 

The type of riding I do now is usually 50 km solo or with a friend. I'm new to road cycling and quite fit and would like to do some grand fondos, some club riding, and maybe some races in the future if the sport takes me that way.

My main objectives are to get a bike that's stiff, offers value, and durable. Fast is nice but I'm not overly concerned with weight. That being said does anyone know how much the giant weighs (I've been googling to no avail). 

I think my real question is how much benefit is there to the aero frame. And what are the tradeoffs?

How do the manufacturers compare in terms of warranty and customer service?

The second part to this is sizing. I'm 5'7.5'' with a 32 inch inseam. I seem to fall right in between the 52 and 54 or small and medium. My legs are on the long side which would imply my torso is shorter does that mean I would need a smaller frame (less reach). That's my logic. However, I'm seeing on the sizing charts that having a greater inseam says I should be a medium or 54. Take a look here. click what's my size right under the price. (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.2/24639/89...). If someone educate me a bit here that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for any help  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Adrian_ | 7 years ago
2 likes

The emonda sold when I went to take it for another ride so I ended up buying the Giant. I think I would have got the Giant anyways. Thanks for all the help, guys!

Adrian_ | 7 years ago
0 likes

Came across another sweet deal $2200 for a 2015 trek emonda s6 (ultegra). Now I don't know. 

What are your guys' opinion on that vs the TCR advanced 2? I know the H2 fit is a little more relaxed. Has anybody been new to the sport like me and later wished they went with a more aggressive or less aggressive fit one or two years later. Just some of your thoughts?

The weights are 18 pounds 6 ounce for the S6 and 17 pound 5 ounce for the TCR Advanced 2. (if anyone's interested)

PennineRider | 7 years ago
3 likes

Quote:

the last one unfortunately

Yeah that's what the salesman said to me when I bought my new car  1

I'm sure there is a 52cm Felt AR5 somewhere in Canada. Don't feel pressured into taking the 54 if it's not right for you.

When you take a test ride, take a tape measure. Measure the stem from centre of steerer tube to centre of handlebars. It will probably be 90 or 100mm. Ride the bike. If you feel too stretched out, move the saddle forward on its rails a little if you want to/need to. If you still feel too stretched out, think about how much you'd need to reduce the stem length by to get a good fit. If you'd need to fit a stem shorter than 90mm, I would take that as a sign that the bike is too big for you.

You are 5'7. You almost certainly need a 52. Don't buy a bike that's too big for you because it's "the last one". Please!

Have a good ride

nadsta replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

PennineRider wrote:

Quote:

I'm sure there is a 52cm Felt AR5 somewhere in Canada. Don't feel pressured into taking the 54 if it's not right for you.

When you take a test ride, take a tape measure. Measure the stem from centre of steerer tube to centre of handlebars. It will probably be 90 or 100mm. Ride the bike. If you feel too stretched out, move the saddle forward on its rails a little if you want to/need to. If you still feel too stretched out, think about how much you'd need to reduce the stem length by to get a good fit. If you'd need to fit a stem shorter than 90mm, I would take that as a sign that the bike is too big for you.

You are 5'7. You almost certainly need a 52. Don't buy a bike that's too big for you because it's "the last one". Please!

Have a good ride

That's good advice. It's relatively straightforward to change components like stems and can be done for very little money using eBay to evaluate different lengths, but starting off with the wrong size frame is a fundamental problem. A deal on an incorrectly sized frame in no deal at all. 

Adrian_ replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

PennineRider wrote:

Quote:

Have a good ride

Don't worry...I took the Felt 54cm for a spin. It felt too harsh. Everything came up through the Seat and bars. It was a little long too to reach but not too much.

I went to a shop that actually knows the sport and they sized me up and even suggested an XS Argon 18. That one had a 52 ett. I know for sure that 54 is too big for me now.

I appreciate the concern. I would hate to have made that mistake. I see a lot of bikes on craigslist that say bought but size is too big sell for cheap. But yet to see one say the opposite lol. 

Adrian_ | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks I'm gonna give the felt a ride today. It's a 54 and the last one unfortunately. I'll have to see the fit. The gearing is bigger as well on the felt. Here in Vancouver that might be an issue. A lot of hills. 

Dnnnnnn replied to Adrian_ | 7 years ago
0 likes

Adrian_ wrote:

The gearing is bigger as well on the felt

If you can afford $2000 on a bike, you can also afford to fit a slightly larger cassette (or smaller possibly a smaller chainring). The retailer may well do it for free if it swings the deal.

Grahamd replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

Adrian_ wrote:

The gearing is bigger as well on the felt

If you can afford $2000 on a bike, you can also afford to fit a slightly larger cassette (or smaller possibly a smaller chainring). The retailer may well do it for free if it swings the deal.

Exactly what I did with my Pinarrello, larger cassette to help with the mountains, essential for me.

PennineRider | 7 years ago
1 like

Mate, bikes are all the same. Just get the one that fits you the best. An aero frame does give a small efficiency advantage, but the aero advantages of one frame or another would be cancelled out by poor rider position leading to fatigue.

Sizing: The traditional wisdom is, if you can't decide between two sizes, go for the smaller. It's easier to make a small bike "bigger" with the seatpost, the stem and headtube spacers, than make a big bike smaller.

FWIW I'm 5'9 with 32 inseam and ride a 54 with a 100mm stem. I'm sure you'd be a 52 but we're all different and all bikes are different. I'd try to get a ride on the bikes.

If I couldn't try them for fit, and if I had a gun to my head to make a decision, I'd go for the Felt in a 52.

There smiley

Latest Comments