Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stolen bike/What bike?

I never though I would be putting up one of these 'what bike?' threads, but here we are. On Tuesday 7th June my Cannondale Supersix Evo was stolen from the  basement car park of my work. A group of types exploited the remotely opened gates to come in and take a couple of bikes including mine. The door is normally guarded until about 6:30, but after that it is done remotely. The guards literally told me they couldn't close the gates and trap the thieves in case they attacked anyone also in the basement. 

[No my bike was not locked, but I have worked there three years and they said this was also the first break-in in the 12 years the building has been open. There are normally dozens of bikes down there including many mountain bikes proped against the walls, but nothing more eye catching at that time. If I haven't been there that day or been working at 7pm... So an aggregation of micro choices and chaos theory lead to the bike being taken. One of my colleagues whose bike was also taken has taken a more forthright attitude and we will see what buildings insurance has to say about it, if I am culpable. I am trying not to be stressed about it all.]

So now I need to move on sooner than I though. The Cannondale was only 8 months old. I have my old Jamis (2009) which unfortunately rides like a pig. The steering is 'crunchy,' the gears are ruined, the chain slips if overpressured; so no climbing/sprinting. The bottom bracket sounds like a raccoon pleasuring itself. It is enough to get me into work 9.2km and back but no more. I have Ride London 100 coming and can't train. Another rebuild would be sending good money after bad, which is why I got the Cannondale.

Luckily I have time to get something new. My dream machine has been for a number of years a Canyon:

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2016/ultimate-cf-sl-7-0.html

but it is just a bit beyond my budget (Cannondale was £1049 reduced in October, the best time of year to buy.) I could afford it later but I need a bike NOW! And the lead time on their cheapest Ultimate is mid August. 

I could replace the Cannondale for about £1100 

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/road-bikes-c5/road-c37/cannondale-supersix...

but am thinking I would rather move on. My bike has Sram, which is the first time I have used it. I never really got on with the double tap as I was always to enthusiastic and kept going up and down and looking down at my gears. Shimano is simple, two levers, up or down no messing, I will be going back to shimano.

The beauty of the Canyon is its elegance. I get jealous of the noisy fast aero bikes bypassing me, but if it is elegant, lively, light (carbon only)  I will consider it.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing/

The Ribble is one I have my eye on. I can get the 105 package for £1046 (Though I would rather not have the "free" clothing bundle and the choices of bartapes trying to boost the cost on their bike builder.

There seems to be limited choices in shaped carbon around £1000 mark. There are quite a few simple tubular looking frames around £800, but they don't have the sportyness/elegance and build quality comparable to the Cannondale. I already know I can't afford the likes of the Giant Propel.

So after all that waffle, are there any likely candidates I have missed? Your suggestions are welcome! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Good luck mate, was it registered with Bike Register?

Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

By the way, I wouldn't mind the Cannondale back and keep my pennies for other things. It was a Cannondale SuperSix Evo 56cm Grey Blue like the one below (same frame colourway with added dirt.) The police are checking CCTV but I am not keeping my fingers crossed. If you do see it on ebay/gumtree, I've heard lots of good news stories where these things are found; though money is more effective than hope, crossing your fingers is free.

Latest Comments