Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Oh No! Not another 'which bike' question....

Ok, So I am in the market for a new steed (N+1).

I am now (un?)fortunately without a job and have bags of spare time on my hands over the next 2-3 months or so...

This is primarily to get some fitness back - OK it's to get all my fitness back...having 'lost the legs' and gained a paunch over the last 2 years, or so, due not putting in or having the time to put in a concerted effort because of long hours/work commitments.

I currently ride a 2016 Giant Defy Advanced 2E (105) and it's a tad on the weighty side to keep up a really decent pace within a group ride. Of course I could probably lose about 10kg and that would help!!

I will be solo-ing for the majority of my ride time - with the intention of getting in 40-60kms/ride  - about 3 rides per week. I will also have at least 2 x club rides each week (40k evening ride & 60+ k Sunday ride).

I'd be capable of ~27 to 30kph over a 2 -2 1/2hr flattish group ride at the moment on my current Defy, not too many steep areas around locally...but my climbing is woeful and I'm aiming to improve on that too.

I currently weigh ~70kg and am 160cms tall (small?)...so bikes are either coming in at XS or S frame size for me for the 4 types below...(guess they'd be slightly lighter in that size than your average M/L frames...)

I have in mind four strong contenders. ( Both the Canyons are  approx 7kg & Giant don't supply weight in their tech specs but from what I can gather may be slightly heavier so maybe 7.5 to 8kg)

I like the idea of an aero frame, but not so stubborn that something less aero and more forgiving might be the best choice (Giant TCR/Canyon Ultimate??).

AEROAD CF SLX 6.0 - base model €3.3k with Ultegra 52/36... I know it's a decent wedge of cash but has Mavic Cosmic Pro exalith wheels  - and I have other mid range alu wheels that can be used as training wheels for poorer weather. But can't test ride obviously.

GIANT PROPEL ADV PRO 1 - €3.2k - Ultegra 52/36 & Giant SLR1 Aero/Carbon wheels. I love my Defy, so may be a bit more biased toward this as an aero option. Need to make sure it comes with the newer type of aero brakes so that there's no isue with 25mm tyres. I can test ride this actual model locally. But this is still a fairly weighty bike in comparison to the Canyon(s).

And semi aero, race but with a touch of compliant comfort...

GIANT TCR Advanced €2.6k Ultegra 50/34 & Mavic Cosmic Pro (non exalith) this would be an online purchase, but can try the standard version with the Giant wheels locally.

ULTIMATE CF SL 9.0 AERO €2.8k - Ultegra 52/36 and Mavic Cosmic Pro exalith wheels. Smoother riding perhaps?

Or maybe I am looking for the wrong type of bike, so many to choose.

Light, comfortable, fast - maybe it's a 2 out of 3 option...?

Thoughts and opinions welcomed - shoot me down in flames also, if that's your style...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Danger Dicko | 7 years ago
2 likes

There's a hell of a lot of judging going on in this thread.

Just so people know, I'm about 10kgs overweight, however I'm just about to switch from an alloy Ridley with Tiagra to a carbon Genesis Zero with Di2.

It's my money and it's the bike I wanted.

vonhelmet replied to Danger Dicko | 7 years ago
1 like

Danger Dicko wrote:

There's a hell of a lot of judging going on in this thread.

Just so people know, I'm about 10kgs overweight, however I'm just about to switch from an alloy Ridley with Tiagra to a carbon Genesis Zero with Di2.

It's my money and it's the bike I wanted.

That's great.  Are you expecting it to make the difference between getting dropped on a club run and being able to keep up?

Daveyraveygravey | 7 years ago
2 likes

Another Propel rider here although mine was the £1600 version.  I love it, I also spend all day thinking about riding it when I am not riding it.  Mine is last year's model which looks better than this year's version, although that is just the paint scheme and that is my own taste.

You're right to worry about the brakes, I had issues with a 25  mm tyre and the old brakes, which was fixed by Giant.

mostly | 7 years ago
1 like

I have the 2015 tcr advanced and I'm very happy with it, as said you get a lot for your money with giant without the possible canyon wait times.

PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hold on...

So you said you didn't like the Defy because it was too heavy... but now you say you don't.

And you said you were 10kg overweight... but now you say you're not.

Right. Good luck with whatever you decide to get.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
2 likes

Thanks for the input jdryan86.
As mentioned I already have a Giant Defy and enjoy that for what it currently provides in terms of cyclability.
For the other more negative replies...maybe a bit more qualification required as to the reasons for the purchase.
However, I do not really see why my personal/financial/employment circumstances are anybody else's business...it was added as a qualifier for me having free time with no work commitments.
The Defy was to be used as a do it all through the winter type bike...having discs and more relaxed geometry.
For me though it doesn't cut it as a fast club run bike. I would have been using a lighter Ribble except the rear drop out sustained damage.
Unemployed status at the moment does not equate to being on the breadline, far from it. After having spent the best part of 33 years at the coal face (so to speak) I want to purchase what will probably be my best equipped (most expensive?) bike ever.
The free time I now have will be used for getting back into shape including losing weight, maybe 10kg was being a bit flippant, regaining a modicum of general fitness and getting the legs spinning.
Now I am not some naive, immature, waster...(which seems to be the impression some people have - based on some replies) that is looking for a magic bullet...
I merely asked advice on 4 bikes ...and hoped that I would genuinely get some advice on the bikes mainly from cyclists that had ridden any/all of the aforementioned...but should probably have realised that wouldnt happen...the site being what it has become recently...for those genuinely wishing to impart their knowledge on the subject - I welcome your advice.

jdryan86@ymail.com | 7 years ago
1 like

I would definatley consider the GIANT PROPEL from experience. I have the Propel SL0 and cannot fault it. With Giant I strongly believe you get good value for your money. It will come with Giants Carbon wheels so no need for any upgrades or additional spend and its a off shelf bike thats good to go! I must admit the aero bars on the SL0 do set the bike off really nice and not sure if they are on the Pro1? I can also confirm there is no issue with 25mm tyres I am running at the moment (you couldnt go any bigger than this) If i was you I woul test ride this actual model locally. You will love it and Giant from my experience excellent to deal with. 

1 like

Quote:

I'd go for the coolest looking thing that you really want to ride for whatever reason.

In the circumstances, I agree. He's making an emotional purchase. As long as he understands that a new expensive bike might not automatically help him go lots faster just now.

tritecommentbot replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
1 like

PennineRider wrote:

Quote:

I'd go for the coolest looking thing that you really want to ride for whatever reason.

In the circumstances, I agree. He's making an emotional purchase. As long as he understands that a new expensive bike might not automatically help him go lots faster just now.

Yeah science itself seems to be pretty certain that a lighter bike doesn't really make you go much faster. Take a big steep hill, mile long, the difference between the heaviest and lightest bike on the market with the same rider will be less than 10 secs IIRC.

Nothing really if you're not racing. Posher bikes mostly just feel different. 

vonhelmet | 7 years ago
0 likes

You could do to lose 10Kg do you want to spend a load of cash to save one or two Kg off your bike? Off you go, captain logic, it's your money.

tritecommentbot replied to vonhelmet | 7 years ago
2 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

You could do to lose 10Kg do you want to spend a load of cash to save one or two Kg off your bike? Off you go, captain logic, it's your money.

Preferably both. And a shiny new bike does wonders for motivation.

I'd go for the coolest looking thing that you really want to ride for whatever reason. I've had bikes that were fine and what not, but my current bike I really love and spend all day thinking about riding it. Sure it's cost a lot of cash to build, but worth every penny. 

0 likes

Hi mate, firstly:

Quote:

it's a tad on the weighty side to keep up a really decent pace within a group ride.

No it's not!

Of the factors preventing you from keeping up with your mates, it won't be a kilo of weight on your bike that is holding you back.

What you have there is a decent club-level road bike. Why you'd want to spend thousands of pounds to get a bike that is 1500g lighter, when you are 10kgs overweight, and unemployed, is beyond me.

HOWEVER... It's your life and your money. Canyon do have some very well-specced and light bikes for the cash. Were I in the market for a super light bike this is where I'd look first.

Danger Dicko replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
2 likes

PennineRider wrote:

Hi mate, firstly:

Quote:

it's a tad on the weighty side to keep up a really decent pace within a group ride.

No it's not!

Of the factors preventing you from keeping up with your mates, it won't be a kilo of weight on your bike that is holding you back.

What you have there is a decent club-level road bike. Why you'd want to spend thousands of pounds to get a bike that is 1500g lighter, when you are 10kgs overweight, and unemployed, is beyond me.

HOWEVER... It's your life and your money. Canyon do have some very well-specced and light bikes for the cash. Were I in the market for a super light bike this is where I'd look first.

Whoa! how do you know his cash status? 

He may have no work on at the moment but that doesn't mean he has to be sent to the poor house.

Don't judge a man until you've cycled 10 miles on his bike.

Latest Comments