Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Quoted vs actual weight-60% difference -are we being had?>

I just bought a 3T Stylus Ltd Stealth 25 seatpost for the not incosiderable sum of £170.

At a quoted 140gms for the 31.8x280 version, my 27.2x350 couldn't be too much more.

WRONG

It's 225.  

Without having the 31.8x280 to compare to weigh, I can't say 3T's website is a crock of lies, but that's a 60% difference.  

Imagine your bike was 60% heavier than advertsied?  

Feeling mugged but is this the norm???

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

nadsta | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's winging it way back to Sigma. 

which isn't really the point though. Thread started to express you should get what you're promised, not less or in this case more. 

And in the current clime of claimed aero gains/watts saved, all almost entirely unverifiable by consumer or industry reviewer, you'd think we could at least trust manufacturers to get basics we can verify correct. 

PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

Can you just send it back and get a refund?

nadsta | 7 years ago
0 likes

maybe I should just get a life

Jimnm replied to nadsta | 7 years ago
0 likes

nadsta wrote:

maybe I should just get a life

you have a life, a good one! Cycling and a passion.

nadsta | 7 years ago
0 likes

vs mobile site 

PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

Quoted weight for the seatpost you bought is 220g. You measured 225 on your scales. That's well within tolerance. The 140g is a red herring - that's the weight of a different product.

So no. We're not being had.

nadsta replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

PennineRider wrote:

Quoted weight for the seatpost you bought is 220g. You measured 225 on your scales. That's well within tolerance. The 140g is a red herring - that's the weight of a different product.

So no. We're not being had.

Interesting, just checked their mobile site and they quote 220 g, desktop site at https://www.3tcycling.com/road/en/bike-components/seatposts/stylus-25-lt... quotes 140 g

Obv I checked the desktop and thought the price justified the weight-wrong.

It's a first world problem but I wanted 3T Stealth as it matches bars and stem but seems pointless spending on a lightweight frame to then use heavier than necessary components

Just noticed the Enve is 205 (at 400mm), wonder what its is chopped down to 280?

PennineRider replied to nadsta | 7 years ago
0 likes
nadsta wrote:

desktop site quotes 140

No. No it doesn't. It quotes 140g for the 31.6, as can be seen in the images you posted. That's what the brackets after the weight are for. They tell you which version of the product has that weight.

Don't get me wrong - I'd be disappointed too. I think the post offers poor value and I'd send it back. But you haven't been misled.

fukawitribe replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

PennineRider wrote:
nadsta wrote:

desktop site quotes 140

No. No it doesn't. It quotes 140g for the 31.6, as can be seen in the images you posted. That's what the brackets after the weight are for. They tell you which version of the product has that weight.

Strangely - as the OP found out -  according to those screenshots it quotes 220g and 140g for the 31.6 x 280, depending on how you view the site. Obviously that's still not the product they ordered but it is odd.

nadsta replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

PennineRider wrote:
nadsta wrote:

desktop site quotes 140

No. No it doesn't. It quotes 140g for the 31.6, as can be seen in the images you posted. That's what the brackets after the weight are for. They tell you which version of the product has that weight. Don't get me wrong - I'd be disappointed too. I think the post offers poor value and I'd send it back. But you haven't been misled.

I know, I stated this in my original post, my point being that I'd be amazed if the 27.2x350 was 60% more than this if it was accurate.  My understanding of using narrower carbon tubes around the top of teh bike is to promote flex and comfort, so just making the narrower tube out of thicker crabon and pushing the weight up that much seems unlikely.  My money is on the 31.8x 280 being over 200g.  I'm going to check this number, not because I have nothing else to do but because to misadvertise your top level offering in such a way should not go unnoticed.

To add to the misinformation, 3T support emailed me back prior to purchase in response to my compatibility query re: carbon saddles

"We have no compatibility problem for the Stylus"

Well it doesn't fit a Fizik Kurve carbon as I found out today.

Love my stealth carbon 3T stem/aero bars, will have to live without matched finishing kit. Worse things happen at sea though.

Thanks to SuperPythton 59's tip I've ordered a significantly lighter and cheaper Ritchey superlogic 2 bolt in nice UD finish stealth

If this doesn't work out its a Fizik 00

In contrast to 3T, I also bought a Fabric ALM saddle to test at 145gms advertised.  Whilst I've found it doesn't suit me, not only do they offer a 60 try out return, it weights 147gm on my scales.  Now THAT's within acceptable limits.

Simon E | 7 years ago
1 like

Seems an awful lot of money for a seatpost. Would be a lot cheaper to just stay off the pork pies.

kwi | 7 years ago
2 likes

It's longer, and maybe has the same wall thickness if not thicker, could need more material at the clamp end too. 

Just put one less mothfull in your Bidon and you're sorted.

Latest Comments