Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sub £1k Carbon

Hello roadies....

As with probably quite a few people, my first post is a question about a new bike.

I have been pondering over buying my first real road machine after getting bored of riding an ancient carrera for the past 3 years as a fitness bike.
Looking around I have come across two bikes which seem to fit my bill, I am looking to spend £700-800 and want a fairly comfy preferably carbon machine. The two I have whittled it down to are:

The merlin fuse
https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-fuse-105-mix-road-bike-84195.html

Or

The planet x pro carbon SRAM rival

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-sram-rival...

I like the rival groupset but obviously the 105 on the merlin won't be crap.... Frame wise I read that both are a little flexy but that's OK with me, I'm no racer. I like the style of the planet x but the merlin looks a little more modern which I belive it is as the planet x has been around in the same guise for a few years.

Has anyone any thoughts between these two? I have looked around a fair bit and would like something different to the norm so not really bothered about a cannondale or a giant and the spec on these is quite a lot better than the equivalent ribble.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Nice one

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

BBB | 7 years ago
1 like

It wasn't my best day to be honest. Still... 28mm are so sexy...  3

PennineRider replied to BBB | 7 years ago
1 like

BBB wrote:

It wasn't my best day to be honest. Still... 28mm are so sexy...  3

You love it, you slag smiley

PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

Fucking hell. Mate, are you in a sexual relationship with a 28mm tyre or something?

You have made your point now, three times. I'm sure the OP has read your advice and will weigh it up against all other factors when choosing his bike.

mike the bike replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
2 likes

PennineRider wrote:

Fucking hell. Mate, are you in a sexual relationship with a 28mm tyre or something? ......

Not me.  Although a 45mm is a possibility.

PennineRider replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
2 likes

mike the bike wrote:

PennineRider wrote:

Fucking hell. Mate, are you in a sexual relationship with a 28mm tyre or something? ......

Tubs or clincher?

alansmurphy replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

PennineRider wrote:

At least the OP didn't enquire about rear casettes otherwise we'd have all kinds of ring jokes!

Yorkshire wallet replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
1 like

mike the bike wrote:

PennineRider wrote:

Size queen eh?

I'm feeling a bit inadequate now. Is 23mm below average size these days?

Chrishart45 | 7 years ago
1 like

Thanks for the pointers guys, went and sat on the pro carbon yesterday and it was a lovely position. I had a quick go on the merlin but will have to go back for a proper look tomorrow. I also rode a friends Cannondale Synapse and didn't like it much at all, far too upright.

I'm looking for a better quality feel and ride quality over my awesome 2005 carrera virtuoso (I know your jealous) so either of the two are going to feel great I'm sure. I don't want to go all out focusing on comfort, I want something fast but with the harsh edges taken off. I'll manage on 25mm rubber if I need to.
One last sit on the merlin tomorrow and I'll decide.

It looks like it's going to be the planet x at the moment purely on personal preference.

PennineRider replied to Chrishart45 | 7 years ago
1 like
Chrishart45 wrote:

carrera virtuoso (I know your jealous)

I had one of those  1

Not as bad as their image suggests, and responsible for getting thousands into road cycling. They were a real "gateway bike".

Let us know what you go for in the end.

Chrishart45 replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
2 likes
PennineRider wrote:
Chrishart45 wrote:

carrera virtuoso (I know your jealous)

I had one of those  1

Not as bad as their image suggests, and responsible for getting thousands into road cycling. They were a real "gateway bike".

Let us know what you go for in the end.

You're right, it's actually a strong machine but certainly out of date now! It's done me very well and really helped with fitness which was the original idea..... Props to halfords for once!

mtbtomo | 7 years ago
1 like

Agree, you don't need 28mm tyres.  I have 28mm Conti GP 4Seasons on one bike, but they're not any wider than the 25mm Schwalbe Pro One's or the 25mm Conti GP4000s I have on other bikes.  That's because the 25mm tyres are fitted to wider rims.

23mm Schwalbe Pro Ones on my race bike measure up at 26mm...

0 likes

Oh and you don't need to run 28mm tyres for "comfort". You don't need to run 28mm tyres on a road bike at all. It's a red herring.

BBB replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

PennineRider wrote:

Oh and you don't need to run 28mm tyres for "comfort". You don't need to run 28mm tyres on a road bike at all. It's a red herring.

There is a difference between being comfortable and being used to discomfort.

25mm is just a meaningless number that marketers put in your head, just like 23mm in last few decades.

What makes you think that 25mm is what everyone needs? Is it because pros use them? Is it because jurnos tell you so? Why not 23mm used by roadie sheep for decades? Why not 30mm?

Have you done some extensive testing on various road surfaces asking different riders weighing from 10 to 20 st about their comfort and came to conclusion that 25mm is what they all need?

When it comes to tyres I always believed that the only way to find out what (un)comfortable, wide, narrow, soft, hard is... is to test the extreme ends of the scale. Otherwise you won't have a slightest clue what you're talking about.

PennineRider replied to BBB | 7 years ago
0 likes
BBB wrote:

PennineRider wrote:

25mm is just a meaningless number that marketers put in your head, just like 23mm in last few decades.

What makes you think that 25mm is what everyone needs? Is it because pros use them? Is it because jurnos tell you so? Why not 23mm used by roadie sheep for decades? Why not 30mm?

Have you done some extensive testing on various road surfaces asking different riders weighing from 10 to 20 st about their comfort and came to conclusion that 25mm is what they all need?

When it comes to tyres I always believed that the only way to find out what (un)comfortable, wide, narrow, soft, hard is... is to test the extreme ends of the scale. Otherwise you won't have a slightest clue what you're talking about.

The OP wants advice on a new bike purchase. You told him not to consider any bike without clearance for 28mm. That wasn't helpful, given that most people ride 23/25mm just fine, so your advice would narrow his choices unnecessarily.

I'll elide the rest of your rant as it isn't relevant. This is a thread for beginner advice. Let's not have a stupid dick -waving argument in it.

BBB replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

PennineRider wrote:
BBB wrote:

PennineRider wrote:

The OP wants advice on a new bike purchase. You told him not to consider any bike without clearance for 28mm. That wasn't helpful, given that most people ride 23/25mm just fine, so your advice would narrow his choices unnecessarily. I'll elide the rest of your rant as it isn't relevant. This is a thread for beginner advice. Let's not have a stupid dick -waving argument in it.

It's becoming rare these days to find a bike restricting one's tyre choice to 25mm. Many endurance bikes come with 28mm tyres as standard for a good reason and I can assure you that those who spend some time on them,  won't have any reason to go narrower.

My advice to OP:  Get a bike that allows you to experiment with tyre widths and pressure and to work out FOR YOURSELF what you are comfortable with instead of relying on what "everyone else" rides.

Your "advice" to OP:  I'm comfortable with 25mm, so should you and everyone else.

Was my post a rant? Maybe, but it wasn't about tyre width per se  but about herd like roadie mentality that throws newcomers into a matrix world of established standards that they "should" be using. For decades it was a case with 23mm tyres on narrow rims at over 100PSI... They've never made sense for amateur riders but hey that's what pros, jurnos and club gurus were using...

Baaa!

Chrishart45 replied to BBB | 7 years ago
0 likes
BBB wrote:

PennineRider wrote:
BBB wrote:

PennineRider wrote:

The OP wants advice on a new bike purchase. You told him not to consider any bike without clearance for 28mm. That wasn't helpful, given that most people ride 23/25mm just fine, so your advice would narrow his choices unnecessarily. I'll elide the rest of your rant as it isn't relevant. This is a thread for beginner advice. Let's not have a stupid dick -waving argument in it.

It's becoming rare these days to find a bike restricting one's tyre choice to 25mm. Many endurance bikes come with 28mm tyres as standard for a good reason and I can assure you that those who spend some time on them,  won't have any reason to go narrower.

My advice to OP:  Get a bike that allows you to experiment with tyre widths and pressure and to work out FOR YOURSELF what you are comfortable with instead of relying on what "everyone else" rides.

Your "advice" to OP:  I'm comfortable with 25mm, so should you and everyone else.

Was my post a rant? Maybe, but it wasn't about tyre width per se  but about herd like roadie mentality that throws newcomers into a matrix world of established standards that they "should" be using. For decades it was a case with 23mm tyres on narrow rims at over 100PSI... They've never made sense for amateur riders but hey that's what pros, jurnos and club gurus were using...

Baaa!

I think your point is valid if a little ranty, but hey that didn't bother me... The counter point is also valid, I don't think I would be put off to much.
For some I can see it being a concern and it doesn't make much sense to limit tyre size by design.

Rant away, I'll filter out the bits I need...

0 likes

I have the Planet X Pro Carbon with SRAM Rival and I'm completely happy with it.

Merlin were not selling road bikes when I was buying. Had they been, I would have had a very good look at them.

Both Shimano 105 and SRAM Rival perform reliably. Just get the bike you like the look of the most!

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think the Merlin Fuze is actually a more expensive Ridley bike in disguise, with just a simple Merlin paint job.

Chrishart45 replied to Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes
cyclesteffer wrote:

I think the Merlin Fuze is actually a more expensive Ridley bike in disguise, with just a simple Merlin paint job.

I think I've heard this before, I can't seem to find what model, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a bike based on a ridley?

Stef Marazzi replied to Chrishart45 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Chrishart45 wrote:
cyclesteffer wrote:

I think I've heard this before, I can't seem to find what model, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a bike based on a ridley?

Had a damn good review here - I've got a Ridley X-Bow which is obviously a Cyclocross bike, and have just done 10,000 miles on it, loved every one of them!

http://road.cc/content/review/167777-merlin-fuse-105

Chrishart45 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the pointers. I do reckon we're moving into a time where entry level carbon is becoming worth while. Though these two come with a nice looking spec compared to anything I can find. Even most alu framed builds
Good point on the tyre clearance I'll ask the question.
Test ride this weekend I guess is the most important thing. Though the Planet X comes in mad pink, could be the swinging factor!

jollygoodvelo replied to Chrishart45 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Chrishart45 wrote:

Thanks for the pointers. I do reckon we're moving into a time where entry level carbon is becoming worth while.

With respect - you've been rolling around on a crappy Carrera, and like not all carbon frames are equal, some of the higher end aluminium frames might surprise you.  If you can find one of the last CAAD10s - now discontinued, but still an awesome bike - or try a CAAD8 or base model CAAD12, give it a try.

Chrishart45 replied to jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
2 likes
jollygoodvelo wrote:

Chrishart45 wrote:

Thanks for the pointers. I do reckon we're moving into a time where entry level carbon is becoming worth while.

With respect - you've been rolling around on a crappy Carrera, and like not all carbon frames are equal, some of the higher end aluminium frames might surprise you.  If you can find one of the last CAAD10s - now discontinued, but still an awesome bike - or try a CAAD8 or base model CAAD12, give it a try.

Thanks, but as I say I have looked into things, I've got plenty of appreciation for aluminium, I use it plenty on the mountain bike.
Having done my reading on how the carbon frames are put together and how the types of carbon are used I don't think it's correct at all to say frames of this level are sub standard, they may not be racing sharp and super stiff but that's not what I'm after. I've ridden good alu bikes in the past and they're smashing and there are to many differences to say is better or worse, I do like the way carbon rides the smaller bumps.
Not looking to start a debate by the way just giving my opinion and reasoning.

BBB | 7 years ago
0 likes

I can't comment on the Merlin but watch the tyre clearance on Planet x. As far as I remember 25mm is max.

Comfort that you are after will come mainly from the tyres, not some magical properties of carbon fibre. Don't buy anything that won't allow you running 28mm rubber.

le Bidon | 7 years ago
2 likes

I know this doesn't really answer your question or problem directly, but at that budgets I'd be looking at a nice alu frame, rather than a cheap-ass carbon frame.

Maybe a CAAD8, Canyon Endurace, Trek Emonda.

But if carbon it must be, then I'd take the Planetx over the Merlin. Though BTWIN do a well-reviewed sub-£1000 bike I seem to recall. Maybe look at a Ribble build?

Latest Comments