Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

112 links enough for a 11-28 52-34 chainset?

Thinking of buying a new chain, it's got 112 links but I'm not sure if it's enough. Had a look online and that made me more confused! Rear Derailleuer looks to be short cage.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

If I'm not mistaken most chains nowadays are sold with 114 or 116 links. Just get the length, and remove links as necessary.

For what it's worth, my drivetrain is a Shimano 105 RD-5700-GS medium-cage rear mech working on a 12-30T cassette and 50/34T chainrings. Chainstays are 430 mm long. 114 links works perfectly.

I have another bike with slightly shorter chainstays but almost the exact same drivetrain components, and that uses 112 links worth of chain.

turboprannet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I ran 52-34 for a few months in 2014 until I managed to get a 53/39 chainset through the classifieds here. 

I ran it with a Tiagra 10sp front mech, ultegra 10 speed rear medium cage and, I believe, 11-28 on the back. Ultegra chain if it's worth mentioning as well as 105 5700 shifters  

It ran absolutely perfectly. I did change on the front with a slightly more gentle touch but I didn't drop a chain or do any damage. 

mtbtomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Think it will be a 52-36 chain set also unless you've changed the rings, cos an 18 tooth gap will be pushing what a front derailleur is capable of. The biggest gap is normally 16t, so 50-34, 52-36 or less with the likes of 52-39 etf

tritecommentbot replied to mtbtomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

mtbtomo wrote:

Think it will be a 52-36 chain set also unless you've changed the rings, cos an 18 tooth gap will be pushing what a front derailleur is capable of. The biggest gap is normally 16t, so 50-34, 52-36 or less with the likes of 52-39 etf

Yes sorry, 52-36!

That's great thanks, ordered the chain, the brand is KMC and it says 11 speed so.. guess it's okay.

Daveyraveygravey replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

unconstituted wrote:

mtbtomo wrote:

Yes sorry, 52-36!

That's great thanks, ordered the chain, the brand is KMC and it says 11 speed so.. guess it's okay.

Bugger!  Wanted to know how the 52-34 worked!  52-36 and 11-32 wasn't enough for me up Hardknott this year.

tritecommentbot replied to Daveyraveygravey | 7 years ago
0 likes

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

unconstituted wrote:

mtbtomo wrote:

Yes sorry, 52-36!

Bugger!  Wanted to know how the 52-34 worked!  52-36 and 11-32 wasn't enough for me up Hardknott this year.

I'd love a 52-34! Would be perfect.. but alas no, just me being crap on the internet. I Googled it before though and it can work!

mtbtomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Most, if not all, new chains are 112links as standard so if anything you'll be shortening it by a few links.

It will depend on the length of your chainstays also but I've never even worried about how many links a new chain comes with and not once had a chain too short in 20 years and 40 or 50 bikes worth of assembling/disassembling and maintenance.

Any chain from a reputable brand will be fine!

Latest Comments