Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road Tubeless Conversions

Hi all,
Just a quick post on this topic. I recently decided to try tubeless tires on the strength of good reviews on Hutchinson's Fusion 3s (and out of curiosity). I don't have tubeless compatible wheels so I had to convert.

Road.cc had a good piece on this but I could find little else online about what sounded like a daunting prospect - so I decided to write about the process as a little how to. You can read about it here: http://theinquisition.eu/wordpress/2010/06/road-tubeless/

Anyway, I hope this will help if you are curious about what it takes to do. Its actually quite easy.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

no probs. thanks for the info... may well get me some just as long as i can shift some more rubbish from loft to ebay and make enuff spondolicks.  4

aworthycause | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sorry @Fringe - I'm far too late getting back to you - I have them at 5psi below my usual - about 95psi which is what Hutchinson recommend for my bike and my weight combined.

Duc | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, I know its not directed at me but I tend to run at between 100 and 110 psi depending on what I want to go for (comfort vs speed ) but have run as high as 120 and as low as 75 psi without problems on either case.

Don't run low pressures unless you have some seriously strong rims though as it is easy enough to "rim out" on sharp bumps (potholes) without pinch punturing

I'm a reasonably heavy (!?!) 98 Kgs in kit

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

@aworthycause - what pressure/psi did you run in the tubeless compared to the 'normal' clincher/inner tube set up?, just curious. ta.

Duc | 13 years ago
0 likes

Fusion 3's definitely feel better than the 2's. They give slightly more feel and a bit more grippy but don't seem any slower to me

0 likes

Quick update. I went for a 100k spin to test the tyres. All went well. They feel really fast, but this is just subjective - I was with a slower group than usual so I can't say if tubeless is faster. I had come to these Hutchinson Fusion3s from Conti GP4000s Chillis and the new tyres felt more responsive and grippier, but again this could just be different compounds in the tyres themselves, different conditions or anything really. But overall they feel fast, responsive and smooth with loads of grip, so what more can I ask?

Its a strange feeling going over rough sections in the road a few psi lower than usual and reminding yourself the tyres can't pinch flat. All in all, the new tires felt great.

Are they worth the upgrade cost? Well, that's another matter.

0 likes

Thanks for the comments Duc, you are right, I did two coverings of tape.

Fringe - the rims were not tubeless, but the tape solves this and only takes a few minutes.

In relation to everyone else - I'll be doing a long spin on them tomorrow and will update afterwards - if I make it back...  13

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Here's a link to Dave's original blog on fitting tubless + which also leads to his review of Hutchinson's tubeless system

http://road.cc/content/blog/4867-road-tubeless-tyres-my-first-experience...

simonmb | 13 years ago
0 likes

Nice piece. I'm SO tempted to try this myself. Let us know the ride feedback? I'm running latex tubes - and loving these over butyl. There's every reason to think tubeless should be better still.

Duc | 13 years ago
0 likes

Having done a few I'd suggest filing back the tape at the valve hole to make a clean edge otherwise the vavle can leak air a little. Also I've always neede two wraps of tape to get a good fit that goes up firast time every time. One final bit of faff whihc is worth doing is before you inflate everything tubeless is to put a tube in first and inflate it, leave it in for a ouple of hours as it just makes the tape seat a little better.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

aworthycause - were the rims you used 'tubless' specific?. was thinking of trying tubless myself but didnt want to splash out on new rims if i dont neeed too.

cheers.

nice blog btw.

JonMack | 13 years ago
0 likes

Nice write up, be sure to update us with your experiences please!

Latest Comments