Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gold Sold Secure lock

Hi all,

Need advise on what gold sold secure locks you have to give me ideas for ensuring no light fingered individuals take a shine to my bike.

Ideally,  it would lightish but easy to transport around.

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

After dismissing padlock & chain type locks I found reviews of the Hiplok. London Cyclist liked the original model and, very interestingly, bikeradar's testers found the lock mechanism uncommonly difficult to pick (link to review).

The V1.5 is lighter and cheaper, and reviews seem quite favourable e.g. http://www.thestickybidon.com/hiplok-lite-bike-lock-review/ and http://discerningcyclist.com/2015/07/hiplok-lite-review/

In the end portability is a real consideration and the Hiplok's construction may swing it for some owners.

welshman001 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Should have mentioned the budget too - TBH, so long as my bike remains where I put it, then I am willing to pay that price. 

Yes too, should have acknowledged the trade off between weight and effectiveness.

Anyway, appreciate the above. 

Thank you.

Simon E replied to welshman001 | 7 years ago
0 likes

welshman001 wrote:

Yes too, should have acknowledged the trade off between weight and effectiveness.

Weight is not necessarily the most important factor in deterrent/thief resistance. "Weight per unit of length" sounds like marketing BS.

A Kryptonite Gold rated lock may be made with thicker steel than their Silver rated Series 2 (1.3 kg) or Evolution Mini (0.9 kg) but a dedicated thief who carries the tools to break those will probably get through the heftier one too, it will just take longer.

Using a lock effectively is as important as anything. Chains seem to be more easily compromised due to the shape. A D-lock should be a snug fit so there's no room for a bottle jack to be inserted. Kryptonite and others make locks with different shackle lengths, it's worth checking which one fits your bike (and the object you're locking it to) best. Also, what you lock it to, the location you choose are also factors.  No lock is thief-proof, you just need to make it as difficult as possible for them.

This might be a useful read - http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/

CygnusX1 replied to Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

welshman001 wrote:

Weight is not necessarily the most important factor in deterrent/thief resistance. "Weight per unit of length" sounds like marketing BS.

A Kryptonite Gold rated lock may be made with thicker steel than their Silver rated Series 2 (1.3 kg) or Evolution Mini (0.9 kg) but a dedicated thief who carries the tools to break those will probably get through the heftier one too, it will just take longer.

Agree that "LMI" (weight/length) is marketing BS (to a point), and similar length shackles from same manufacturer with lower ratings will likely weigh less, but the OP's question (and the marketing BS graphic) was specifically regarding Gold rated locks. 

All the locks meet a certain minimum time before being defeated (I don't know what that limit is, and couldn't find any reference to it on Sold Secure's own website) and the actual times each lock resisted for are unlikely to be made public. 

Therefore if we assume a dedicated thief will get through all of them in just over X seconds (same level of effectiveness), then factors such as the weight, length required to secure to a fixed object wherever you are leaving it, and price become the deciders. 

Simon E wrote:

Using a lock effectively is as important as anything. Chains seem to be more easily compromised due to the shape. A D-lock should be a snug fit so there's no room for a bottle jack to be inserted. Kryptonite and others make locks with different shackle lengths, it's worth checking which one fits your bike (and the object you're locking it to) best. Also, what you lock it to, the location you choose are also factors.  No lock is thief-proof, you just need to make it as difficult as possible for them.

This might be a useful read - http://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/

Excellent points, to which I would add its not just what you lock your bike to its also which part of your bike you lock - too many times I've seen gold rated locks (usually D-types) through just a wheel and not the frame, sadly on a number of occasions the frame was no longer there. 

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

1.1kg Gold rated lock? Is take it that it's currently the lightest on the market going by that chart? 

CygnusX1 | 7 years ago
1 like

I've had a LiteLok (http://litelok.com/) for about a couple of months now after backing their Kickstarter campaign - not sure if they are shipping to general public yet, but they just won the best cycling innovation at the London Cycling Awards.

Its lighter than my Hiplok DX (http://hiplok.com/bike-locks/hiplok-dx?product_id=111 another SS Gold rated lock) and more flexible (both in its design and where you can use it) although slightly more awkward to carry - it has springiness to it returning it to a flat 'bar' shape if unlocked, but does come with straps to allow you to attach it to your bike frame, which I actually use to attach to my rucsack waist straps and curl it around my back.

I tend to throw the Hiplok in my bag when I know where I'm going an there's a sheffield stand or something similar suited to D locks.  For new destinations, or where I can't guarantee getting something to put a D lock through, then the Litelok comes wth me.

Here's a graphic from them with some Gold rate lock weights...

Beatnik69 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I got an Abus Granit London which may have been replaced by a newer model. It's not terribly heavy and can be carried on a bracket attached to your frame. I also have a cable for passing through the front wheel.

Simon E | 7 years ago
1 like

Combining strong security + light weight/easy carriage is not really possible.

You carry either a tonne of steel around with you or a lightweight & pocketable lock or find something that sits somewhere in between. A trade-off.

Choice would depend on the value, the location and how long you're leaving it for. A coil cable lock is fine for popping into a shop or if parked within view of the cafe window. If you're leaving a nice bike unattended in town then a good quality D-lock thru rear wheel & frame with a cable or second lock looped thru front wheel would be a good idea. An armoured cable lock such as Abus Steel-o-Flex may be easier or more convenient to transport and OK for lower risk areas and/or a less expensive bike.

Latest Comments