Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Scott Bike Finish

I picked up my new Addict from the shop yesterday. Lovely bike, fast, light, agile, and based on my maiden run, everything I expected and more. Just one niggle. The first thing I noticed in the shop was that although the bike is matt black, the upper surface of the toptube is unpainted. The dealer explained that on their matt bikes, Scott spray paint the sides of the frame only, and while the upward and downward facing surfaces may get some overspray, they are essentially unpainted carbon, with these unpainted areas being irregular, and each bike different. Imagine somebody having taken some fine grained sandpaper along the top of the tube and you get the idea. The same is evident on the chainstays.  Although in daylight you have to look pretty close to see the effect, on balance I would have preferred a full paintjob! Does anybody have any idea why Scott do this? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

keef66 | 7 years ago
0 likes

My CR1-SL is the same; bare minimum of paint and decals.  I quite like the industrial finish.  I bought the frameset because it has the right geometry for me, is extremely light, and was on sale for £500.  Cosmetic appearance didn't come into it.

You could always strip it down and have it sprayed in a colour scheme of your choosing??

mtbtomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

It probably saves a small amount of weight not painting the whole frame, plus thats what raw carbon fibre looks like - for every person that doesn't like it, there will be one that will.  

My Genesis is the same, some black gloss sections and decals, and the rest is raw UD carbon.   Loads of other manufacturers do the same.   Its just their choice of finish.   I quite like the raw finish.

Latest Comments