Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Decided on bike, undecided on size :(

I'm looking to get the Trek Domane 4.3 and debating between a 54 and a 56. One shop I've been to told me I'm a 56 and another said 54. According to Trek's sizing chart I'm 56. I've test driven both and they feel fine, but I can't really tell from a 5 minute ride around a small parking lot.
I am 5 9" with an inseam of 30.5". Thoughts? Oh, btw I prefer not to replace any parts or make modifications to the out of the box setup. My main usage will be 2-3 hour rides on the weekends, mostly for recreational, exercise and weight loss purposes. 

Thanks in advance!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd say a 54 too. I think people (either consumers or those working in the trade) can get hung up a wee bit on framesize (ie seattube size).

My own experience is that I'm 5ft11, 31" inseam, but I went for a 52cm Dolan because I have a long torso and the Dolan had a longer toptube than most big name brands (which is what I needed). It's the smallest seattube I've had since I was a kid but I can honestly say it doesn't matter at all. The longer toptube has made it the most comfortable bike I can remember, I just had to whack the saddle up a bit and make sure the stem was adjusted properly.

PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

If in doubt, go for the smaller. Easier to adjust upwards than downwards. Seatpost, stem, and steerer tube spacers are cheap and easy adjustments if you need to.

FWIW I'm 5'9 and ride a 54

Woldsman | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm 5'8". I tried a 54cm Madone and it was too big. Sat on the 52cm in some other Trek model and it felt right straight away. I would suggest you go for the 54cm model - as mentioned you can always fit a longer stem if necessary. Besides, think how much more pro you will look with that extra bit of seat post sticking out  3

Sizing charts for my Giant and Kinesis both suggest I should get the larger model than I actually have if this helps. 

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had the same problem, couldn't decide between sizes recently.

Went for the smaller one as it's easier to get a bit more length than it is to deal with a frame that's a bit stretched out.

In the end.. new bike, long rides at weekends. You'll probably get some back pain and blame it on the size no matter what you go for!

Any time my back hurts now I blame it on going for the smaller frame size, but deep down I know that's not it really. 

LastBoyScout | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you actually been properly measured? If so, go for the one with the correct effective top tube length for you.

If not, then get measured - most places that offer that service will knock the cost off the price of the bike.

If in doubt, though, I'd tend towards the smaller size.

I am also 5'9", with 32" inseam and my 54cm Trek is a bit long for me, as I have a proportionally short torso.

Latest Comments