Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Watching the final stage of the Tour

Since realising I turn 40 on the  day the 2016 Tour ends, I have been planning for quite some time to spend the day on the Champs Elysees.  Finance and other issues meant that getting to a mountain stage just wasn't going to happen, so can anybody give me any advice on getting the most out of it? I obviously want to catch La Course as well so what time should I be waiting at the barriers from and where are the ideal spots? As demonstrated when I attended 3 stages of the Giro, I have no issues standing for hours in one place so any advice would be welcome since I definitely won't be forking out the extravagant amount it costs to get into the stands at the actual finish, no matter how big the birthday!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

AJ101 | 7 years ago
1 like

Get a ticket for the grandstand if you can. It's not cheap but for Eu250 its a day you wont forget. I've been lucky enough to have been taken over by frame manufacturers before but I would definitely pay if I couldn't get a freebie. Keep your eyes open and you'll be surprised who else you find sitting next to you in the stands too.

Redvee | 7 years ago
1 like

Last time I was in Paris for Le Tour climax I was on Rue Du Rivoli just after the turn out of the tunnel. IIRC there was a McDs close for toilet and coffee etc and that side of Rue Du Rivoli has some shelter from sun or rain depending on weather.

Carton | 7 years ago
1 like

I wouldn't overthink it. Logistically, it's like any other race except with more people. The boulevard and the sidewalks are wide enough that it's not too bad, IMHO, but I enjoy crowded places with good atmosphere. If you're only there for the racing then get there early, bring your own snacks and find a good spot somewhat near the finish line.

I went a few years back and made a day of it, got off on the Concorde, found a nice spot nearby on the north side, took turns going for beers and ambling around and soaking up the feeling and picking up a late lunch at Le Pain Quotidien. We had heard that we couldn't drink on the streets but if that was true the police weren't very keen on enforcing it. We were able to make out the sprint (although no one could really tell who had won, only one of us got it right). We capped it off with a drink at L'Atelier Renault. All in all it was a pretty good time. 

We couldn't find a place to cross the route, though there was supposedly a way to do so nearby, so try to get that sorted or pick your side early.

MartyMcCann replied to Carton | 7 years ago
0 likes

Carton wrote:

I wouldn't overthink it. Logistically, it's like any other race except with more people. The boulevard and the sidewalks are wide enough that it's not too bad, IMHO, but I enjoy crowded places with good atmosphere. If you're only there for the racing then get there early, bring your own snacks and find a good spot somewhat near the finish line.

I went a few years back and made a day of it, got off on the Concorde, found a nice spot nearby on the north side, took turns going for beers and ambling around and soaking up the feeling and picking up a late lunch at Le Pain Quotidien. We had heard that we couldn't drink on the streets but if that was true the police weren't very keen on enforcing it. We were able to make out the sprint (although no one could really tell who had won, only one of us got it right). We capped it off with a drink at L'Atelier Renault. All in all it was a pretty good time. 

We couldn't find a place to cross the route, though there was supposedly a way to do so nearby, so try to get that sorted or pick your side early.

Cheers-I will be on my own but am happy enough with my own company waiting in one spot-thanks for that.

Latest Comments