Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

100 mile training plan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Daveyraveygravey | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another that can't see the original question.

I would not rely on just doing intervals, there is nothing like riding the actual distance to help you prepare.  Intervals will give you the ability to ride 100 miles more quickly than not doing them, but riding for 6-7 hours (or more) puts different stresses on you that you may not even be aware of if you only do 3-4 hour rides.  Your neck and back will ache, maybe your wrists too. How many stops do you need? How much extra stuff do you take?  The saddle or shorts that have been perfectly ok on short rides may be a lot less so on longer rides.

I did the Fred Whitton this year, with lots of hilly rides and intervals from Christmas onwards. I also did one 110 mile ride a few weeks before, all the others were 40-60.  With the benefit of hindsight, I'd do at least 2 more full distance rides.    

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Zone 2 is comfortable pace where you dont break into a sweat and can chat away.   

If time is the problem, intervals and tempo pace rides for an hour will get anyone to fitness for a 100 miler

OnTheRopes | 7 years ago
0 likes

I too cannot see the Original Post?

You don't need 'Intervals' just ride everywhere at Zone 2 which is basically at a level where you can (just) hold a conversation if you were with another rider. Ride 4 times a week with at least one long ride a week all at zone 2

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

A few guys I race with on Bkool have never cycled more than 30 miles and both did 94 miles 2 weeks ago and 120miles last weekend in very hilly sportives. Intervals and short duration races will allow you to do a hundred miles. Fuel and liquids for the event are very important

rob39 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Not sure what happend to the thread question but Planning a 100 mile charity ride in August, and currently managed over the last 2 weeks,  66.8 miles last week with a 22 mile, 13 mile and 31 mile ride, so far this week managed a 32 mile ride, and 41 miles today. Not riding everyday that would kill me. Due to work pattern usually ride a couple of days one week and 3 the following then back to 2 and so on.

BBB replied to rob39 | 7 years ago
0 likes

rob39 wrote:

Not sure what happend to the thread question but Planning a 100 mile charity ride in August, and currently managed over the last 2 weeks,  66.8 miles last week with a 22 mile, 13 mile and 31 mile ride, so far this week managed a 32 mile ride, and 41 miles today. Not riding everyday that would kill me. Due to work pattern usually ride a couple of days one week and 3 the following then back to 2 and so on.

If you ride ONLY 2-3 times a week you really need to try to kill yourself on every ride. You'll have plenty of time to recover.

You generally don't need to "train" for a sportive. Unfit people don't lack training structure, they just don't cycle often / hard enough (especially in winter/bad weather). I hope you own a decent waterproof jacket;-)

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Get a compact chainset and just spin along at 100 rpm. Crush some ibuprofen into your bidon. 

Taper up and taper down. Really you'll do 100 in no time at all. Like the guys say, rest days are where the good stuff happens. You get stale if you ride every day.

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
1 like

is there a reason I can see the thread anmd the replies but not the original post?  the second post is quite sensible, in addition to the longer weekend rides you should be doing midweek rides of 20-30 miles as you approach the event, but not the final week, so as to be fresh for the event.

if you can do an 80  miles solo ride, then you should be able to manage 100 miles on event day.

. . | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you are going out every day, you may be pushing yourself too hard too soon.  Rest days are vital. 

I'd suggest doing one "big" ride each weekend, adding 10 miles a week, and two or three shorter rides in the week.   You'll get to 100 miles by August no problem.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments