Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Clothing & Accessories - Help a beginner spend!

So with the bike choice chosen at a Giant store yesterday (Defy 1 Disc), I now need to buy all of the clothing and accessories I need. With several online stores having discounts for the bank holiday (CRC, Tredz etc.), it seems wise to buy things ASAP!

I'll need everything a beginner needs:

- Bib Shorts
- Base Layers
- Jerseys
- Helmet
- Shoes
- Cleats
- Lights
- Replacement Tubes
- Pump
- Lock
- And anything else: Can't really think of what else I'll need

I've got a budget of around £300-400 for everything. Although I don't have to spend all if I really don't need to! But help me spend!

Main purpose is to cycle to work, but would also use it on weekends in the summer, and maybe try a few bike events: London to Southend etc.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

davidgray968 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Surely what you buy depends on how well you need to hide the true cost of what you have brought from she who must be obeyed!! 

flyingpitman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Most of your list has been covered by others.I would recommend these shoes.I had Bont Vaypors and wanted some shoes for winter.I bought these and they are now my go to pair.If you have a broad foot you will love them.For jersey's try Prendas Ciclismo they have loads of retro ones.The pockets in all their jersey's are great.Do your homework on all kit and ask the shop questions if your not sure.Use the reviews for a guide.

https://www.merlincycles.com/flr-f-xx-carbon-road-cycling-shoes-88201.html

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Always get gloves.  Fingerless and if you're commuting on fresh spring/autumn mornings, full finger too.  I've had a pair of Endura Strike for four years, they're perfect.

Bib shorts - as said, a major contact point so spend on these.  Wiggle/dhb Blox/Aeron level are good quality for not much money but I recently bought some Decathlon/BTwin 700 bibs http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-cycling-bib-shorts-black-white--id_835416... and they're surprisingly brilliant for only £40.

You may well find that the OEM saddle doesn't suit you.  Finding the right one is a lifetime's work, save some cash for experimentation.

Run two rear lights at all times in case one fails (you won't notice until you get home).  Couple of these will do nicely http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart-bleep-dual-05-watt-led-rea...

Apart from that... get a proper upright 'track pump' for home, and either a Lezyne hand pump or a box of CO2 cartridges and adaptor (which I prefer). Start at whatever the max pressure on the tyres is; if the bike feels a bit jittery over rougher tarmac drop by 10psi.  But carry a spare tube and if you get a puncture out in the wild, carefully remove whatever caused it from the tyre, swap tubes and repair the other tube back at home.

Happy shopping  1

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Shorts: I recommend Pearl Izumi's Quest shorts. Bottom of the hierarchy, but still very good.

Clipless pedals: I'm currently on Shimano SPD and I use their Deore XT PD-T780 touring pedals. They're basically SPD on one side and a flat pedal on the other, and they have reflectors built in. They also come with the excellent SH56 multi-release cleats.

https://accidentalrandonneur.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/the-clipless-diari...

Shoes: Mine are Shimano SH-RT33L road touring shoes. Not the stiffest around, but I was after the utility and walkability, and they're fairly good at that. A good option for commuting.

https://accidentalrandonneur.wordpress.com/2015/10/27/the-clipless-diari...

Lights: I highly recommend Cat Eye's Volt 1200. Max light output is only part of its appeal - more importantly it's very versatile. You can run it at 600 lumens all week (well, five hours) while riding at speed along dark streets. If you can stomach the bulk it adds to your handlebar, it's all the front light you'll need. Unless of course, you wanted something dynamo-powered...

pockstone | 7 years ago
0 likes

....and I've just ordered a pair of the Tenn bibshorts too, also featured on dealcatcher.

Happy cycling!

pockstone | 7 years ago
0 likes
Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

I recommend Lezyne road drive for a portable pump to carry on your bike, and topeak for a track pump. 

DanielCoffey | 7 years ago
0 likes

Consider a pair of fingerless cycle gloves... also front and rear reflectors. You may want a pair of the reflective ankle bands since SPD won't normally come with UK-required pedal reflectors.

Kapelmuur | 7 years ago
0 likes

I like vintage jerseys and have built up a nice collection bought off ebay, I've never paid more than £15.

Ratfink | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you fancy any of the shoes decathlon do? they are worth a visit as they have a load on display to try on.

hucko003 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I won't advise on everything as a lot of it is much of a muchness but here are a couple of pointers:

- I really like Lezyne for lights - very good quality and a range to suit everyone. If the lights are going to be used for night riding, I would advise having at least a 400 lumen front light in order to see and then a 70 lumen rear light. However, if it's just for coming back in the dark or just as a back-up, have a look at either the Femto's or the KTV's. Exactly the same lights but the KTV's being a roughly a tenner more are USB rechargeable which means that the lights won't dim over time. 

- Shoes are very personal and it will all come down to fit. Helmet's not as personal but fit also essential. Cleats should come with the clipless pedals in the box. 

- A handy tip from me on base layers is go to Decathlon. They sell them for a fiver (sometimes even cheaper) and they're absolutely fantastic. I've got about 10 pairs in both long and short sleeve and I don't see why anyone would ever want to spend more on them as they are so good. 

- As you are within a budget, I wouldn't spend too much on the jersey but do invest in the bib shorts as they are a main contact point and transform ride comfort. Have a look at Gore and Castelli as you can often find them at reduced prices and they are a premium bib short. 

- Tubes are tubes, try and find them as cheap as possible as there really is nothing to be gained. 

- I personally wouldn't bother with a lock unless you are going to use the bike to go to work or leave it somewhere. The bike is really nice and locking it may scratch the paint so if you can, don't leave it anywhere and just use it as a bike for sport  10 

Hope this helps  1 

mostly | 7 years ago
0 likes

merlins bibs are worth a look, their jersey is cheap (relaxed fit) wiggles dhb stuff is good value for money, otherwise lusso gear can be found pretty cheaply and galibier are great value for money as are decathlon. I tend to stick to michelin tubes and get a half decent track pump, for home use. I did just carry a co2 pump but one wet day the puncture fairy visited (hedge cutting) went through cartridges and tubes. Since then I carry a mini pump too.

You'll need some tyres too I'd imagine. 

Best of luck. I've found buying gear nearly as much fun as getting on the bike.

kwi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you discussed this with where you are getting the bike from?  A lot of margin in that stuff so they may do you a good deal.  And you forgot pedals.

JLammy replied to kwi | 7 years ago
0 likes

kwi wrote:

Have you discussed this with where you are getting the bike from?  A lot of margin in that stuff so they may do you a good deal.  And you forgot pedals.

The store I'm getting the bike from is a Giant store, so everything they sell is Giant - not sure if this is the most cost effective way to buy clothing & accessories. I'll be happy to talk to them about this though. 

And yes! I knew I'd forget things. I need to decide between SPD and SPD-SL pedals - don't want to start another one of those debates though! Is it better to buy shoes directly from a shop, so I could try them, or would it be ok to buy online?

NeilG83 replied to JLammy | 7 years ago
0 likes

JLammy wrote:

Is it better to buy shoes directly from a shop, so I could try them, or would it be ok to buy online?

Like all footwear it's best to buy from a shop so you can try them on. My Shimano cycling shoes are a size larger than any other shoes I own. Other brands may be a more standard fit.

Latest Comments