Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheels Wheels Wheels

Evening All

Now I know this is a much talked about subject already but there is so much infomation out there I just keep going circles! 

I really want some new wheels for my 2015 Scott Speedster 10, my budget is £400 and short list is as follows but open to suggestions. 

Pro-Lite Bracciano A42s

Mavic Cosmic Elite

Fulcrum Quattro 

And the wild card that your all shout at me for??!!

Zuus 50 clinchers 

Any advise or experiences would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for Hunt...but check the delivery times.

drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

The hub gave up quite quickly on my racing quattros, so a blackmark from me. Have a set of wheels with Novatec hubs that are still running as smooth as silk, so the jetflys might be a good option, even if they don't have the big name factor.

Luv2ride | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cosine 30mm Carbon from Wiggle? A touch over £400.  Am quite tempted myself...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-30mm-full-carbon-clincher-wheelset/

EDIT: just looked again at these. £415 but get 3.3% back if you go via TopCashBack. Then £401....hmmmmm

Anthony.C replied to Luv2ride | 7 years ago
0 likes

Luv2ride wrote:

Cosine 30mm Carbon from Wiggle? A touch over £400.  Am quite tempted myself...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-30mm-full-carbon-clincher-wheelset/

EDIT: just looked again at these. £415 but get 3.3% back if you go via TopCashBack. Then £401....hmmmmm

Looks like £ 450 to me, with only a  1 year warranty.

PeteG0780 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at Cero AR22, 1420g for the pair at £399. Or Novatech Jetfly at 1480g per pair for £359. Bikes Etc magazine did an article on wheelsets under £400 in their June 2016 edition.

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

Quite heavy some of those wheelsets on your list...

Fulcrum Racing 3 come in under £300 and are better and lighter than the Quattros (I'm still really happy with my Racing 5 from 2009 which nowadays live on my winter bike).  Claimed weight under 1600g for the wheelset.

I have also always liked Mavic wheels, but I feel you pay a bit of a premium for the looks and the brand compared to a Fulcrum of similar performance.

Think there would be plenty of others who would recommend some hand built wheels also.

Appreciate that widens, rather than narrows your list - sorry!

But at the end of the day, unless you can try any of these wheels, go for the ones your gut feel tells you is right!  It's an entirely personal thing.  If it were me, unless most of my cycling were flat-ish, time-trial style of riding, I would go for light, rather than deep-ish profile wheels (of which you seem to have a few on your list which are a bit heavier for the price).

Want deep rim?  Get some Planet-X carbons when they're on special offer (not at the moment)

Dicklexic | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hunt Race Season Aero - £329 - 1420g - 2 year warranty

http://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-rim-brake-wheels/products...

I've never used these wheels above but do have some Hunt 4 Season Disc wheels, which I have been extrmely happy with for over a year. Quality is very good and the tubeless compatibility has opened up a whole new world of performance, reliability and comfort.

The only problem with Hunt wheels (IMHO) is the delivery time. If you ordered the wheels above today, you wouldn't get them until the end of July! I suspect that may just be a deal breaker, which is a shame.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

For just over the £400 budget you could take a look at Swiss Side Franc.

A good stiff and aero option. Just over 1.5kg, 27mm deep

http://www.swissside.com/shop/franc-wheelset/

I have had a set running for over a year now with no problems

Yorkshie Whippet replied to The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

The _Kaner wrote:

For just over the £400 budget you could take a look at Swiss Side Franc.

A good stiff and aero option. Just over 1.5kg, 27mm deep

http://www.swissside.com/shop/franc-wheelset/

I have had a set running for over a year now with no problems

Another vote for Swissside Francs, if you want a good set of climbing wheels. I had mine for  3 or so years and they are still straight after two Tour of Flanders sportives. 

For flatter riding I'd look at Fulcrum Quattros.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mein Gott im Himmel, that's a bright paint job kiss !

moorsey72 replied to StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

Mein Gott im Himmel, that's a bright paint job kiss !

I know, I know, wouldnt have gone for that colour choice normally but the huge discount caused me to vote green! As it happens i bloody love it now, beauty is in the eye of the beholder i supposeyes

Charles_Hunter | 7 years ago
1 like

Shimano rs81 c24 £350 at wiggle

Shimano Ultegra 6800 Road Wheelset £250 at chain reaction cycles

Mavic Ksyrium Elite WTS 2016 (with tyres) £420 Merlin cycles

All very good wheels, if you haven't upgraded the tyres the speedster came with I'd go for continental 4000s, check clearances if you want to go with 25mm tyres  

Grahamd replied to Charles_Hunter | 7 years ago
0 likes

Charles_Hunter wrote:

Shimano rs81 c24 £350 at wiggle

continental 4000s, check clearances if you want to go with 25mm tyres  

Exactly what I am running and I am very happy with the combination.

moorsey72 | 7 years ago
2 likes

I feel your pain! Ive just been through very much the same dilemma with similar budget to upgrade the wheels on my emonda sl5. I posted on forums and reaearched so much my head hurt and i just wanted to get it sorted. My findings:

Prolite a42 - was close to getting these but was unsure on looks and weight for climbing, still seem to get decent reviews

Zuus 38 - forums put me off about quality and not sure they are the best hubs for the money

Rs81 C35 - look like great wheels to me and although a little heavy, i think most of the weight is in the hubs. Nobody seemed to really rave about them in the reviews which put me off

That being said if i could have tried all these sets i might well have fallen for one as wanted the cool deep rim thing.

However, i decided that when im giving it 'shut up legs' in north wales i knew i would regret not getting the sensible option.

Considered fulcrum racing 3/zonda (was usure on looks with fulcrum white hubs), campy eurus (apparent harsh ride put me off), dura ace was over budget, zipp 30 (look cool but dodgy feedback).

In the end i stumbled upon Campagnolo Neutron Ultras which had great feedback and were said to be light, comfortable, strong, good for climbing and fast rolling so i pushed my budget to 450. All of which are true, the ride is now much more planted, corners much better and rolls beautifully. They dont match the bike as well as set of deep rims would have (still wonder if i should have gone for the rs81 c35) but the carbon hubs look cool and there is a bit of an understated quality look about them. My advice is dont over research as i think you can lose sight of what your personal taste is, if a wheel has decent reviews and makes you smile everytime you look at the bike im not sure you will go far wrong.

Latest Comments