Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Long Mudguards for Carbon Disc road bike with 28mm tyres

Hello

New to the Forum.

Can anyone please help with some advice?

I have a Cannondale Carbon Synapse Disc model with 28mm tyres.

I would like to fit good quality long mudguards to it to keep the roadsurface water off my bike and my feet. (and off riding companions behind me!)

What are my options?

As it is the disc model there is no rim brake holding bolt on the front fork to 'hang' the front mudguard off. Neither is there a hole in this carbon fork. Similar at the rear although there is a 'bridge' between the seat stays. Clearances are okay I think. Seems plenty of room with only a possible problem at the rear of the 'power pyramid' split design at the bottom of the seat tube just due to the shape of it? But I think that would be okay.

Are SKS Raceblade PRO XLclip on mudguards the ONLY way to go? They only cover up to the rear (rim brake) location at the rear and up to the rear of the fork at the front.

Are ther other makes/models that will provide better coverage?

I am thinking that this must be an issue that many people have had to overcome before me and they may be able to offer some good advice.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ah yes the PDW Full Metal Fenders! Those are going on my bike once my Longboards crack and become ineffective. The "City" width is perfect.

I'm on my second set of Longboards now, since the first set cracked due to road vibration. The Longboards are pretty much a semi-permanent part of my TCX because undoing and refitting them with all the zip ties is a faff, and where I live (i.e. somewhere not in the UK), you never really know where standing water can strike.

Glad to see Crud are seeing opportunities for bikes like ours. No distributors where I live, I'm afraid, but more power to them.

Jellypop | 7 years ago
0 likes

smiley

Thank you very much carytb.

Good shout on the PEW mudguards. Illustration never came out but got to it from their website as you suggested, thanks.

So the PEW with some adaptation and fettling could work. Wasn't even aware of PEW so thank you for that.

Eyelets? I was also thinking that Crud's connections could provide the flexibility of where to position the lower brackets where a frame did not have any eyelets. Or I think I have seen some special 'brackets'  somewhere on the internet... like a double washer where one slides over the QR and the other hole provides the eyelet? Perhaps these are the Axiom things Cannondale UK refered to and suggested I look into? (found them on the Axiom website). (I can't get the illustration to save and upload either)

Re your ps ... I was thinking that too! However I could be wrong but I think that the Cannondale design team are situated in the Black Forest in Germany? And I know for a fact that it rains in Germany! Like the UK!

TypeVertigo: noted re the Giant Defy. I agree, it is very surprising that the product planners/designers seem to overlook provision for fitting fenders/mudguards. Thank you.

https://www.ridepdw.com/sites/default/files/product-help-files/309_fullm...

carytb | 7 years ago
0 likes

From the fitting instructions of pew full metal fenders an illustration of how to fit a mudguard to the crown of a fork without holes in it. If the illustration doesn't come out it's step 5 of the installation.

As for not having eyelets try getting hold of the crud road racer seat stay and fork attachments and see if you could use those. I used them successfully to attach mudguards to a front suspension on a mtb.

good luck

ps it must never rain in the good old USA where all these bikes are designed. Either that or they never ride in the rain

[page10image1348]    

Jellypop | 7 years ago
1 like

Thankfully it seems that there may be hope for disc brake version road bikes after all.

As per my earlier post above, I emailed Crud to ask if the Crud RoadRacer MK2 clip-on mudguards would fit a bike with disc brakes and 28mm tyres and have been advised that they are currently in the process of developing a Mark 3 version of the RoadRacer mudguards specifically to cater for the increasing market of disc brake/bigger tyre size road bikes:

Below is Crud's reply:

I hope you can please help.

Can you please tell me will the Crud roadracer mk2 fit 28mm Mavic tyres on my 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc model bike?

"Hi

We are currently developing a RR Mk3 specifically designed for your style of bike. Won’t be available ‘till August if you can wait that long!

Glad you like the look of our products

Best Regards

Mr CRUD

www.crudproducts.com"

Then I got a further reply from Mr Crud:

"The Mk3 have been developed with bikes like yours specifically in mind. Full mudguards, no tools needed, fit in 10 minutes."

So there is hope of a solution out there.

I haven't had Crud mudguards before as I come from an old 531 frame with eyelets and old full length mudguards permanently on the bike so have never experienced this problem finding mudguards/fenders to fit before. Never dreamed it would be a problem when I bought the bike.

A friend has a pair (previously RoadRacer MK1 and now MK2) on his carbon road bike and is very happy with the performance of them.

Hopefully they are really good and allow me to use my Cannondale in wet and cold weather without getting myself and the bike covered in water and mud etc etc off the road surface.

Still very happy for any other contributors to post replies and suggestions to other options which may help me or other riders looking for full length mudguards/fenders in this senario.

Thanks a lot to TypeVertigo, rjfrussell, vonhelmet, alotronic and matthewn5 for taking the time to consider my predicament and replying.

To be honest I was going to attempt a bodge on the rear somehow (I think it is achievable) but the front has me really stumped ... can't work out how to secure the top of the front mudguard to the crown (?) of the fork as there isn't a hole through the fork for a bracket and not wanting to use the SKS Raceblades that only give partial coverage.

If I make further enquiries and get further info I will post it up.

Kind regards to all.

0 likes

@Jellypop

Giant actually committed the same faux-pas with their latest Defy. Endurance bike frame, sure, but no provision for mounting fenders/mudguards either.

Sheesh. Some product planners have very strange priorities...

vonhelmet | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sell it and buy a bike with proper mount points. Anything else will be a bodge.

alotronic replied to vonhelmet | 7 years ago
0 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

Sell it and buy a bike with proper mount points. Anything else will be a bodge.

No, keep it, don't put mudguards on it.... and buy another bike more suited to guards... You'll do it eventually when you get annoyed with the guards and annoyed with getting wet on long winter slogs  3

rjfrussell | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a synapse which I rode all through last winter.  Ass saver and a 3 minute bike clean at the end of every ride.  (Car cleaning brush on domestic hose pipe is best imo).

Jellypop | 7 years ago
0 likes

Last one

Jellypop | 7 years ago
0 likes

another photo?

Jellypop | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jellypop | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ah! the photo is displayed!

But only possible to upload one at a time?

Jellypop | 7 years ago
1 like

A big thank you to TypeVertigo for taking the time and trouble to consider my predicament and the kind constructive reply.

And thanks for the links included. You did a very good job fitting those mudguards to your own bike.

Sadly there are no eyelets on the chainstays or front fork drop-outs on my Carbon Synapse.

And I am at a loss about fitting mudguards to this bike so I can use it to its full potential right through the year in all weathers.

I am therefore very disappointed.

Have contacted Cannondale UK via phone and email and they confirm the only mudguards/fenders that will fit are the 'ass saver' type that bolt on to the seatpost. It was deisgned to be the best sportive bike on the market but without consideration for fitting mudguards. Fair enough. But I don't want to have a 'winter bike' and 'best bike' only for sunny days ... It would get very little use. Plus I only have the space for one bike really.

Hence my desire to fit long mudguards to the Synapse.

I have emailed Crud to see if they can help and if the RoadRacerMk2 will fit 28mm tyres?

Anyone out there already know the answer to this question?

The clearances on the bike look okay ... approximately 8 mm above the rear tyre to the underside of the bridge, likewise from the top of the front tyre to the front fork and behind the 'split-tubed' seat tube 'power-pyramid' design by the bottom bracket.

I have taken photos to upload but can't seem to upload them to my post from my hard-drive? Perhaps I am doing something wrong? If anyone can advise how to upload photos and internet links I shall be very greatful !

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another problem that didn't occur before disc brakes.

TypeVertigo replied to matthewn5 | 7 years ago
1 like

matthewn5 wrote:

Another problem that didn't occur before disc brakes.

Irrelevant.

A lot of bikes don't have mounts for fenders/mudguards at all, regardless of what brakes they run.

0 likes

I'm assuming you have eyelets for the stays of the mudguards/fenders on your fork and rear dropouts.

A cursory search on Google led me to some successful installs of full-length SKS stuff such as the Chromoplastics. Here's one: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12968790

We don't have the same bike but I had to do a bit of bodging to fit SKS P45 Longboards to my TCX SLR 2. Here's a post on it if you'd like to check it out: https://accidentalrandonneur.wordpress.com/2015/10/01/sks-p45-longboard-...

Latest Comments