Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Solving cause of neck/shoulder pain

Two bikes - a Boardman Carbon (from about 2013) and a Genesis Croix de Fer. Both have the same saddle (Brooks B17), and frames are very similar, medium 54cm seat tube. The Boardman is comfortable for 200+km, but the Genesis has started giving me really bad neck and shoulder ache after just 20km or so. First I thought it was reach, so I flipped the stem, and then replaced it entirely with a riser-one that pushes the bars right up. So I tried adjusting the saddle - again, it's made no difference. Before I shell out for a bike fit, any suggestions for what else I could try?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

vinnychoff | 7 years ago
0 likes

I found some pain lower neck top of the back after high miles. I came back from Mallorca 312km sportive. I carried out some changes to my set up moving the seat nearer to the stem and raising the seat. If you are ok with experimenting then all good. if you need expert help then find a good place.

Another way could be to record you in film on both bikes. Maybe this might help you see the difference from another angle. I also noticed that when I was riding i was hunching my shoulders. Moving the seat gave me more room to bend my elbows, lower my shoulders and move closer to the bars.

Hope you find your solution.

vinnychoff

fixit | 7 years ago
0 likes

it is not the bike for sure. pay a visit on your physician before you do any bike fit to help you correct this issue, a lot of road bike riders have that. stiff neck is a bitch!!

waldner71 | 7 years ago
0 likes

saddle height/angle/position,  stem lengths make a big difference. A bike fit is really the only way to go to get this right. I paid £75 for a basic fit (hybrid rider so no need for lasers, knee tracking and cleat adjustments/motion capture) a few minor adjustments made had a big positive change. Well worth it. It helps if the bike fitter is also into physio or massage, if not try sports massage, physio or an Osteopath to pinpoint/treat any issues 

rnick | 7 years ago
0 likes

Similar sized frames...but perhaps two rather different geometries.  You could do an accurate measure up of the different elements - reach, stack, saddle to bb,  crank length, bar width etc and see if you isolate differences and then replicate on the uncomfortable bike

I suffered a similar aches after some research paid for a session with a physio who also does bike fits.  This alleviated / reduced the pain significantly and I was also left with a variety of exercises to strengthen / free up various bits of my decrepit body.  The only component change to my bike was a shorter stem.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
1 like

A bike fit should have been the first order of priority. It doesn't matter what you do you'll never be comfortable with an improper fit.

Latest Comments