Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

3D Printed Chain Guide

I posted another topic showing my Shimano DIY 1x9 speed set up and it works great for commuting and cyclocross!

I have had persistant chain drop issues every time I have ridden so I sought to buy a chain guide/catcher. Turns out 1x chain guids are incredibly expensive, so I designed one myself using SolidWorks and had it 3D printed using the rapid prototyping facilities at uni!

It's only an initial prototype and it needed a little modification (was too long so the chain kept scraping therefore I cut it down a little) and I intened to make a neater, smaller revised version in the next couple weeks. The mounting system needs improving, currently it just bends to push it onto the seat tube, but the over designed cantilever arms give the clamp a little to much rigidity.

Hope you like it!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

macrophotofly | 7 years ago
0 likes

Really like the chain guide you made, but I suspect your chain dropping problems would go away if you placed the cog upfront in the "large cog" side of the crank rather than "the small cog" side. Despite it not being quite as inline for the majority of cogs, it holds it inline for the smaller cogs where chain dropping is more prevalent. I've been playing around with 1x drive trains for a while now, and unless you buy the cogs that centre on a 2x crank (such as SRAM's Cx cogs) then putting on the outer side works better for avoiding chain drops

philhubbard | 7 years ago
0 likes

Very nice, maybe try something like the Creetec version next, think their's comes in at around 8grams!!

cqexbesd | 7 years ago
0 likes

Very cool! It's great what people can do when they have access to manufacturing.

OhYesWell replied to cqexbesd | 7 years ago
0 likes

cqexbesd wrote:

Very cool! It's great what people can do when they have access to manufacturing.

big boys won't like it!

Canyon48 | 7 years ago
2 likes

And on my CX machine! The next version will have an improved clamp, sleeker desing and I'll spray paint it black.

Canyon48 | 7 years ago
1 like

Straight out the printer

Latest Comments