Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

cracked seatpost

I've got a crack in my carbon seatpost. Does anyone know if it would be safe to swap it with the missus post as the crack would be below the clamp in her frame. Just until I can afford to replace it ? Many thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

chief-o | 7 years ago
0 likes

The size and orientation of the cracks are important. Today many manufacturers use ud carbon, which is fine, however they use it on the surface. In other industries it would be sandwiched between woven plies to avoid crack propagation. It may be that the is just a separation between fibres on the top ply. Let's put it in context. Bikes are made in their thousands in China production lines. They do not have the same process controlled and inspection as other industries. Point is that all bike parts from carbon will have defects of some sort. Voids, wrinkles and delamination. Just need to judge how severe the cracks, if it is a cracking, is. I doubt very much that a carbon seat post would snap catastrophic.
Post a pic and we see how it looks.

Canyon48 | 7 years ago
0 likes

The thing about carbon is once it's got a small crack, that's it gone really.

Metals can usually perform fine even with cracks in them (assuming the stress is below yield stress of the material - yes obviously then you get failure due to fatuige), they just won't last that long. 

I woud consider the carbon seatpost structurally failed with a crack in it, therefore the bin is the only palce for it.

I do see what you are saying though, suppose you cut it off above the crack (then treated the exposed fibres) before inseting to the original minimum insertion length, then you could reasonably consider it safe.

Kim Chee | 7 years ago
1 like

A cracked carbon post shearing a femoral artery or removing anyones perineum from usage (esp. your wife's) is NOT wise! Even if the current, visible crack will be hidden, the structural integrity is GONE! Replace any carbon posts with the 

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/masterpiece-seatpost/

and ride with your mind at ease. You CAN afford it-if you want to go cheap, buy the 

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/elite-seatpost/

which is still better than anyone elses post (except for Nitto for classic bikes).  

chief-o | 7 years ago
0 likes

How big is the crack and in what direction? How much below the clamp would it be?

BigMat | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've had a crack in the laquer to my carbon seatpost for the last 7 years, put a sticker over it and ignored it.  If the crack looks to be structural then bin it, otherwise it is probably fine.

Welsh boy replied to BigMat | 7 years ago
1 like
BigMat wrote:

... it is probably fine.

I like the use of the word "probably".
I have just bought a Selcof seat post from planetX because my far easy carbon one cracked, £30 well spent if you ask me and a lot cheaper than a divorce/reconstructive plastic surgery.

BikeBud | 7 years ago
0 likes

Buy an alu seatpost until you can afford another carbon one, or an rsp carbon seatpost which are ridiculously good value.  

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Do you actually like your Missus?

If you do, throw the cracked seatpost away.

Otherwise, yeah give her a dangerous seatpost without that might impale her if it breaks without warning.

Jeez.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bin it.

listerine | 7 years ago
1 like

Not a good idea - the crack could propagate.

Butty replied to listerine | 7 years ago
0 likes

listerine wrote:

But it'll be OK as it will be on the Missus's bike

RoadbikeRoss replied to Butty | 7 years ago
0 likes

Butty wrote:

listerine wrote:

But it'll be OK as it will be on the Missus's bike

i only asked as the crack would sit below the clamp on her bike. 

stevenagesteve | 7 years ago
0 likes

Assuming the post of the same size, I'd still say that posts have a minimum insertion point for a reason. Although the clamp stops movement in two planes doubt it absorbs all the flex forces. And do you want to explain who is at fault to your wife if it breaks whilst she is on it...

Grahamd | 7 years ago
0 likes

Depends on whether your missus knows beforehand...

mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

You do love to live dangerously don't you.

Why not get a short length of wooden dowel and jam it up the seat post, this will put your mind at rest until you can get a new one.  Incidentally, Planet X sometimes have decent seatposts at very attractive prices.

allanj | 7 years ago
1 like

It might be safe, but it doesn't sound wise!

Latest Comments