Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice on buying black wheels

Looking at buying some new wheels. I have a couple of needs and am seeking the collective wisdom of you experts.

-  Black rims, including brake track, that stay black. I bought some H Plus Son Archetypes a few years ago with black rims, and they stayed black for about 12 hours.

-  Wide. Preferably 24mm + external.

-  Tubeless compatible.

-  Light. Sub 1500g.

I realise it'll be a compromise on one or more of the above so will consider on merit. Trying not to focus on price too much.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

MarkiMark | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sorry that's meant to be 38mm. That really would be an expensive set of wheels!

MarkiMark | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have looked at Hunt and like their £8mm carbon wheels a lot. However, I have to finance these through CycleScheme to make them affordable, and Hunt are not a member at the moment.

Lucien | 7 years ago
0 likes

Firstly, I highly recomend you check out Hunt Wheels
They are divine, really well priced, they have sets that weigh in at 1.4kg, they're black.

The braking surfaces though, are unpainted. simply because it's nigh on impossible to have a black anodised rim that stays black on the brake surface. 

Hunt has a host of disc brake wheel though, that are so very elegantly black..... so if you are that commited maybe you sould make the switch  3 

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Carbon wheels can be used daily and take a lot of abuse people are saying. That said, I just wouldn't use carbon wheels as my daily wheel in Edinburgh. Roads are consistently a horror show. I'd love a beautiful blacked out pair of wheels that are tough enough to handle what I have to slog through. Will keep an eye on this thread, hopefully you get some knowledgeable replies.

MarkiMark | 7 years ago
0 likes

Trying to avoid carbon cos I will be using these everyday and fear that carbon doesn't have the durability over time (and potholes).

Good examples I've looked at so far, and should keep the black look for a long time, include the Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL (OK grey), and the very interesting looking HED Ardennes Plus Black, but these are v. expensive.

freebsd_frank replied to MarkiMark | 7 years ago
0 likes

MarkiMark wrote:

Trying to avoid carbon cos I will be using these everyday and fear that carbon doesn't have the durability over time (and potholes).

You're right there. They're also hideously expensive.

Quote:

Good examples I've looked at so far, and should keep the black look for a long time, include the Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL (OK grey), and the very interesting looking HED Ardennes Plus Black, but these are v. expensive.

I'd avoid the Mavics.

Somebody posted a picture of his Mavic wheels here the other day. They
weren't that old but the bladed black spokes had rusted pretty badly; if you
don't like your rim's not staying black, I'd hazhard a guess you wouldn't be
too keen on that.

I think you mentioned you want a pair of wheels weighing ~1400g; I don't
think so, probably not on your budget.

I built a pair of DT RR440's on Hope Mono RS hubs: 32h rear, 28h front using
Sapim Lasers/DT Revolutions and all in they were ~£350. I used silver spokes
as they're cheaper than black anodised; and I don't care what colour they
are. The rims are black but with silver braking surfaces. I calculated they
are about 1550g. I could have used lower spoke counts (you can get the rims and
Hope hubs down to 20h IIRC) but I prefer durability and strength over a bit
of weight.

Yorkshie Whippet | 7 years ago
1 like

Good luck in finding a rim braking track that stays black. I personally would be happier braking on fresh aluminium rather than paint/anodising/muck.

Or alternatively you could look at a set of carbon rims that would be black and stay black. In which case
Ta da

http://www.velocite-bikes.com/venn-rev-35-tcc-tubeless-clincher-carbon-f...

Latest Comments