Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bottom Bracket/crankset advice

I ride a Planet X Proc Carbon, which came with SRAM Rival (10 speed), but there was an FSA Gossamer EVO crankset and BB. The first BB made it through about 2000 miles, but the replacement is failing after about 600 miles. 

Clearly, given all the issues that others have had with these BBs, they aren't up to much...

So, I need to change something. I've looked at the hope BBs, and they will run me £75 ish. My alternative would be to change the crankset for a SRAM RIval with a GXP BB for £100 ish. I'm not sure which way might be best, or if I've overlooked other options.

Advice please!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Alikocho | 7 years ago
0 likes

Forgive my ignorance, but can I run a Shimano chain set with the rest of the group as SRAM?

1tal replied to Alikocho | 7 years ago
0 likes

Forgive my ignorance, but can I run a Shimano chain set with the rest of the group as SRAM?

[/quote

I run two bikes the other way round, Sram chainsets with Shimano mechs. It works fine, so I would say it should work.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Alikocho | 7 years ago
0 likes
Alikocho wrote:

Absolutely, but your bottom bracket also needs to Shimano/Shimano compatible otherwise it won't work.

Chainsets themselves will work fine with most chains and derailleurs (Shimano/SRAM)

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

My last commuter had an FSA Gossamer Pro chainset with Mega Exo BB in a threaded BSA shell. It lasted about 600 miles.

Swapped it for an Ultegra BB for a whole £13 and haven't had a problem since.

However, as you're running BB 386, your options are much as you stated. Either will be better than the current setup.

GXP gets some ropey press so you could also consider other options such as Shimano, although again that would require a chainset change. A black 105 chainset plus BB will set you back about 85 quid from Wiggle.

If it's any consolation, I'm on my fifth attempt at a solution to the PF30 woes I've had over the two years I've had that format. It went like this... New bearings; New PF30 assembly (different brand); new bearings; new new PF30 assembly (different different brand); PF30 to BSA converter and Ultegra cups plus new chainset...

Fitted the new setup yesterday. If it lasts less than 1500 miles the frame is going in a skip.

Dnnnnnn replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

If it lasts less than 1500 miles the frame is going in a skip.

Can I have it please? I'll stick a square taper in it!yes

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes
Duncann wrote:

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

If it lasts less than 1500 miles the frame is going in a skip.

Can I have it please? I'll stick a square taper in it!yes

I'll gladly pass it on to you. You'll need to cut out the PF30 shell and weld in a BSA... Should only be a couple of hundred to do that.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have just fitted a Hope BB, PF41 for my mtb.  It comes with a threaded portion which pulls and hold both bearing cups together, so reducing chance of cups moving, causing creaking bearing failure.

I cant comment on longevity yet, but reading other Hope user comments they are very good.  Also you only have to change bearings when they fail and leave cups in place.

Latest Comments