Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Krysium Elite vs Cero AR30 vs Zuus 38 carbon clinchers, Advice please

Hi

I bought a trek emonda SL5 (green) in January and have decided to upgrade the stock wheels. Looking for best value wheels for long sportive/club rides that can climb well, roll well and have some degree of comfort.  I think i have narrowed it down to the above but also tempted by fulcrum racing 3 and RS81 C35. I like the look of the Zuus (like the slightly aero look) and they seem reasonably light so possibly climb well.

My head is well and truly pickled and very nearly pressed the button on each of the aforementioned wheelsets at various moments throughout the week.

Any experiences of the above options or any advice would be most welcome

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

moorsey72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ive already changed the tyres, running vittoria corsa g+ 25.. much better, wheels are just next step in my desperation to maximise what little ability i have@

allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes

I can't imagine that hub quality (ie bearings) makes any perceptible difference to ride quality or how they roll, until the bearings go!  

It is longevity and ease of maintenance that counts, unless you've got a team car carrying spares for you.

allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes

It is a grey area and the ceros may be great for all I know, reviews are often quite limited from the longevity etc which is frustrating.

The Shimano wheels are nice, remember though that they are cup and cone bearings rather than sealed cartridge units so will need maintained regularly to keep them running nicely.  If well looked after they should last and run smoothly but need more input than cartridges.

moorsey72 replied to allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes
allanj wrote:

It is a grey area and the ceros may be great for all I know, rveviews are often quite limited from the longevity etc which is frustrating.

The Shimano wheels are nice, remember though that they are cup and cone bearings rather than sealed cartridge units so will need maintained regularly to keep them running nicely.  If well looked after they should last and run smoothly but need more input than cartridges.

That has been a bit of a thorn in my decision making whether the different hubs made much difference to the ride quality or howell they roll

moorsey72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Great comments, thanks everyone. The ksyiums or rs81 seem the sensible option, the cero reviews are still tempting me as are the zuus stylewise. I take on board the grey areas concerning quality which i think has prevented me getting as far as the checkout stage up till now

Colin Peyresourde | 7 years ago
1 like

I've had my Ksyeriums since 2012. I don't think they have needed truing and I just did the Paris Roubaix on them. Strong, fast and reliable.

dunnoh | 7 years ago
0 likes

I loved my fulcrums but the bearings went really quickly but the ride was ace.  The Mavics are superb and really well made.  However they always seem skitish when going quickly downhill.  

Grahamd | 7 years ago
1 like

I recently purhased a pair of RS81 C24. Lovely wheels and felt the difference straight away, which got me taking on a couple of local climbs I had previously shyed away from. However marginal the actual benefit may be, if whatever you buy encourages you to do more, then can't be a bad thing.

allanj replied to Grahamd | 7 years ago
0 likes

Grahamd wrote:

I recently purhased a pair of RS81 C24. Lovely wheels and felt the difference straight away, which got me taking on a couple of local climbs I had previously shyed away from. However marginal the actual benefit may be, if whatever you buy encourages you to do more, then can't be a bad thing.

Abolsutely- definitely the biggest benefit of any new bit of kit!

allanj | 7 years ago
0 likes

Interesting group you have chosen!  It depends a lot on what kind of riding you do and what you are looking for from the wheels.

Mavic's are light and well built but not at all aero.  Should last well

The Ceros are light and aero but something about that weight, with that rim depth at that price makes me wonder what has been done to acheive that (ie longevity).

The Zuus are an amazing price for carbon wheelss.  That  also worries me.  Also, unless you live somewhere much drier that I live or are going to get into the way of swapping wheels (and brake blocks....) for different rides then carbon rims are a bit of a problem if you intend stopping in the wet.

Fulcrum 3s are similar to the Kysriums, my LBS warns people off them because they say the parts are very expensive and they are a pain to maintain- no idea if that is right but no reason to doubt them.

peted76 | 7 years ago
1 like

You won't go wrong with the Fulcrum 3's - excellent value at the prices you can pick them up for.

Also consuider Campy Zonda's, basically the same wheels, see which you can get the best deal on.

Latest Comments