Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cube Cross Race 2016 - looking for feedback/views

I am currently continuing my research ahead of getting a cyclo-cross bike for a mixture of off-road, road and cycle-track riding around the Dartmoor area.  

I keep going round in circles as regards choosing a potential bike........almost choosing, then starting looking again!  Budget around £1000 tops.

I am currently drawn towards either of:

• Merida Cross 500
  • Canondale CAADX 105

However, my head has been turned by the Cube Cross Race 500, which features a Shimano 105 group set and an all round very similar top-spec-for-the-money breakdown as the other two, but it just seems to keep pulling me in as a left-field and non-mainstream choice.

I can't find many reviews of it though, so don't really have any third party opinions to set against the readily available ones for the other two on my shortlist.......

So, does anyone have any feedback, opinions etc on the Cube Cross, or indeed feel like suggesting other options around the £1000 price point that have good spec, upgradeability in the future and which will provide plenty of fun......?  I have considered the Rose range, but the Euor rate being so poor has meant they've jumped in price......

I don't want to buy something that I'll readily grow out of poor need to spend lots upgrading relatively quickly......but equally don't think spending more than £1000 for something with every bell and hydraulic whistle on will be worthwhile......

Thanks for any feedback - positively endorsing any of the above or throwing in left-field suggestions......... 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

millhouse | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a 2015 Cross Race Disc which is very similar to this years bike. I bought it as a winter trainer/all rounder. It has mudguard mounts and is sturdy.  I took off the Cross tyres and fitted 28mm 4 Seasons.  Im still on the original Cube saddle which I like. The 105 groupset is budget but works well and I really like the Cross gearing. I generally stay on the 46 all the time with an 11-32 on the rear it means that I mostly use the middle gears of the cassette. 36/32 should be low enough to get you up the hills.

Two things let the bike down. Firstly the mechanical brakes are not good. They are far behind in performance compared to say Ultegra rim brakes. They also need constant adjustment to keep the pads at the correct distance from the disc. I tried to improve the braking by getting some TRP Spyres but that was still not great, so now I have gone to Shimano hydraulic and they are superb but cost £350.

Second let down are the wheels. The bearings are rubbish and the freehub is not great and un serviceable on the Fulcrum 77's.  But then what do you expect from £140 wheels?  I now have Mavic Ksyrium Pro wheels that were £500.

All in all its been a great bike and I recommend it for the £900-1000 price range.

I actually have been using it all year round even though I have two better spec race bikes.

Rovert | 7 years ago
0 likes

Problem with specific cyclocross bickes is cyclocross riders will run up steep inclines. If you want to climb from Widecombe to Haytor you'll need a road compact (50/34) with 11-32 like the Pinnacle has. Cyclocross tyres and hydraulic discs for your budget.

bikebot replied to Rovert | 7 years ago
2 likes

Rovert wrote:

Problem with specific cyclocross bickes is cyclocross riders will run up steep inclines. If you want to climb from Widecombe to Haytor you'll need a road compact (50/34) with 11-32 like the Pinnacle has. Cyclocross tyres and hydraulic discs for your budget.

The chainset seems to be one of the few differences between a CX and an adventure bike. A CX is usually 46/36, but adventure bikes stick to a normal road 50/34. Personally, I much prefer the smaller big ring. If the bike's going to be used on and off road with appropriate tyres, you're never going to need the 50/11.  

Rovert | 7 years ago
0 likes
peterjigsaw replied to Rovert | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rovert wrote:

Great spec for a bag of sand

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-3-2016-adventure-road-bike-E...  

Thanks Rovert. I have looked carefully at the Arkose 3, but the reviews are very underwhelming and I have small hands, meaning the issue with the size of the hydraulic reservoir is somewhat of a drawback.  And I don't like the colour.......  3

peterjigsaw replied to Rovert | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rovert wrote:

Great spec for a bag of sand

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-3-2016-adventure-road-bike-E...  

Thanks Rovert. I have looked carefully at the Arkose 3, but the reviews are very underwhelming and I have small hands, meaning the issue with the size and pressure needed for using the hydraulic brakes is somewhat of a drawback.  And I don't really like the colour that much......  3

Jacobi | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Cube road bike which I wouldn't swap for anything else. I've found with Cube that you get more for your money than you get from other brands.

I found this review of a Cube Cross Race 500 from about 18 months ago if it's any help.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/cyclo-cross-bikes/cube-cross-race...

Latest Comments