Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Up grading my wheels

Morning all,

virgin poster here, although I have been a regular at the shop next door (STW) for quite a while. The article about the Reynold RZR wheels got me thinking........

Last year I bought a basic Lapierre with a triple of the mountains where I live in France. Am really enjoying my road bike at the expense of my beloved mtb.

I would like to get some semi serious wheels. I don't have a price guide, but would hope to get something for less than 400 GBP. I don't race, but I do sportive's and regular 100km rides with lots of climbing. As my first tentative steps into the world of up grading my wheels, what would you recommend?

FYI, I'm a big lad, weighing in at 95kg.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

David French | 13 years ago
0 likes

Of course, a durable alternative to the 'factory' wheelset would be a pair of hand built wheels. If you consider yourself to be a heavy rider it's a worthwhile consideration and also will be easier to get a replacement spoke mid-ride if worst came to worst.

I would suggest Mavic Open Pro rims, Shimano Ultegra hubs and DT Swiss spokes. You could taylor the exact spokes you want to the price you want to pay and a good shop will probably charge £35 a wheel or there abouts to put them together.

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

See if anyone has the 08 Bontrager x-lite wheels from £600 to discounted clearance but the crc wheels posted above look tempting indeed!

JJ the Flying D... | 13 years ago
0 likes

Some Dura Ace or Record hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims, DT Revolution or Sapim Laser spokes should give you an absolute bomb proof set of wheels for less than 400 pounds. I build a pair with record hubs and they came in at 1550 grams for the set, all for about 350€. Doesn't look special, but every LBS will be able to fix them if you break something and with 32 spokes, it is no major disaster if you break a spoke. The hubs will run smoother than most ready built wheels too!

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

ive got some Easton EA50 SL's, similar weight and price to the Pro-lite Braccianos.

couldn't say if they are better or worse as not tried the Braccianos but look good and so far haven't needed any truing/fetling and had then 18 months ( 6 of those they spent in winter hibernation).

SPAM Naval | 13 years ago
0 likes

my first bike was a lapierre and i upgraded the wheels to mavic ksyrium elites which are a great set of lightish, good looking and bomb proof wheels. should fit your price range also..i've seen them anywhere from £350 to £450

Skid-Mark | 13 years ago
0 likes

thx Dave, will head over to CRC now for a gander

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

ps i tested them, and i'm 2kg heavier than you

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29086&PartnerID=2658

The Pro-lite Braccianos are, for my money, the best wheels you can get for your £400. And you can have a pair off of CRC for £249. We gave them 9/10 at a price £100 above that.

http://road.cc/content/review/6577-pro-lite-bracciano-wheelset

Latest Comments