Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrade Cannondale synapse ultegra

So I'm now the proud owner of a Cannondale Synapse Ultegra my first carbon bike. Love the ride and really appreciate the step up from a caad 8 105. The bike I got from Evans and is a 2015 ex demo model in almost perfect condition so it was a really good deal at £1250. Having read about upgrades I'd love to upgrade the wheels to a higher spec and I'd also like to put disc brakes on. There is the same model bike but a disc version available so am I safe to assume that my frame is setup to be able to have discs added instead of normal calipers? And can anyone recommend a setup for under £500 I can get better wheel set than the Mavic Aksium my bike came with and disc brakes also?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

simoncplant | 7 years ago
0 likes

I also have the 2015 Synapse Carbon with Ultegra groupset (the Blue one).  Had it since September last year and LOVE it to bits.  Do 2x20mile commutes each day and a club ride / 10/20mile TT at the weekends + the odd sportive.  After riding nearly 3000km on it, I've only just started to change things.  I've gone for the Mavic Cosmic Pro carbon 52mm clinchers as my first upgrade, mainly for the TT side of things as well as them looking awesome  1  (with an Ultegra6800  11-28 cassette).  First ride on the new wheels was today, love them so far  1

I'll still use the Aksium's as my daily wheel when its not perfect conditions though.

Also, tryes, I'll second someone elses comment on the Conti GP 4000's, they're amazing tyres and work extremely well with the bike handling and the Aksiums.  At some stage I'll go for a lightweight set of rims with another 11-32 cassette to go with it.

Other than that, the saddle is next.  The OEM Prologo is nice, but I'm getting some numbness on long rides and on the turbo so I'll start looking and trying soon.

Don't be in such a hurry to go disc.  When I tested the Giant Defy Advanced disc range when I bought the Synapse (on sale so they were the same price), the Ultegra rim brakes were streets ahead in stopping power and feel IMHO.

Solope | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thank you guys. Much appreciated 

I'll have a think about it. Seems tyres the way to go in the short term! 

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
1 like

Just to clarify I was refering to the Kysrium Elites not the Aksium Elites, the difference in weight  is over a pound, that's certainly noticeable in wheels  but it's not just about weight. 

allanj | 7 years ago
1 like

Kysrium Elite Ss are 1450g, so a reasonable weight saving.  If going for these then make sure you get the latest models that are wider and give a better tyre profile.

The bearings are also a bit better, and they look really cool.  Looking cool will make you go faster, the weight saving does a bit but pretty small.  

I've got a pair and wish I'd gone for something more aero, but then again that is probably a bit of an emperors new clothes thing as well.

Enjoy your bike, and if you enjoy upgrading as part of that then go for what you fancy.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

Askiums elite weigh 1735 grams

Standard Askiums weigh 1964 grams

Hardly noticeable weight difference, don't get suckered into feel/climb/accelerate comments.

Bear on mind 235g is total weight saved out of bike+rider weight, much less than 1% percent of benefit. Or quarter of a bottle of water

DanTe replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Askiums elite weigh 1735 grams Standard Askiums weigh 1964 grams Hardly noticeable weight difference, don't get suckered into feel/climb/accelerate comments. Bear on mind 235g is total weight saved out of bike+rider weight, much less than 1% percent of benefit. Or quarter of a bottle of water

Disagree.

230grams on a set of wheels is certainly not insignificant. I have 4 sets of wheels covering lightweight to 36hole touring jobs.  The difference between all of them is noticeable..

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
1 like

I have both the Mavic wheels and yes, there is a big difference in cycling enjoyment if not performance. Aksiums are  reliable but heavy and feel a little harsh and uninspiring, particularly on hills. The elites are light and good for climbing and when accelerating hard they can put a smile on your face. They aren't very aero though but the new ones have a wider rim which is the current trend. Shimano RS 81s are another option.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

Honestly, no not really. I have two set of wheels, one pair is 32 spoke cyclo-cross ready, strong wheel and the other hand-built Hunt wheels with minor Aero benefits. Can't tell the difference when using them. It is all down to tyres which give you different ride quality. That said it is always useful to have a spare set of wheels. But don't expect a revelation in performance.

Solope | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thank you to all for the comments and feedback. Im new on here but an avid cyclist (as of 2 years lol) so I'm sure you'll hear from me more. 

I guess you guys are right I'll forget about the disc brakes but will look into the wheels suggestion and possibly just upgrade the tyres as a holiday sounds good  3

One last Q would I notice much of a difference in the ride if I upgraded to Krysium Elites from the Aksiums? Thanks again 

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

Doh, disc brake frames are different from rim brake frames.

Carton | 7 years ago
3 likes

That's a pretty decent bike as is. Ride it for a few months in order to nail down what you feel needs upgrading, if anything.

allanj | 7 years ago
3 likes

My first step would be the tyres, get yourself some Schwalbe ones/continental GPs or have a look at the new Michelins.  They would be a cheap upgrade that you will feel the benefit of, spend your £500 on a holiday instead!

joules1975 | 7 years ago
1 like

Very unlikely that your bike is disc compatable. Only very small number of frames/bikes can switch between rim brakes and discs (kenisis do one, and I know there is one other, but can't recall the brand).

I agree with allanj that Aksiums are pretty good wheels, but they are entry level so not particularly light, and definately not aero.

As you won't be spending money on discs, put all the £500 towards some light weight, semi aero alu wheels, such as some AM Classic Argent, AM Classic 420, Hunt Aero Road or some custom made wheels.  Go for wheels with a rim that is 19mm internal width or similar if you can to improve rolling resistance and comfort.

Dicklexic | 7 years ago
1 like

Nope, sorry.

For a start, disc brakes require specific mounting points for the calipers. These are not something you can retrofit. At least not on a carbon frame/forks. I also have the Synapse, but with discs and the main elements of the frame are similar (geometry, SAVE system etc.) but the frame will have been developed specifically for each type of braking.

You still have a very good bike though, especially at that price, and at least you could use it in French/Spanish sportives if you wanted too!  3

http://road.cc/content/news/187652-spain-joins-france-banning-disc-brake...

As for the wheels, loads of options out there. The original Mavics are good, if perhaps a bit weighty. I upgraded the wheles on my bike to Hunt 4 Season ones. Been extremely happy with them, and I know Hunt also make very good rim brake wheels. The ability to run tubeless tyres is a big benefit in my opinion.

allanj | 7 years ago
1 like

"am I safe to assume that my frame is setup to be able to have discs added "

Eh, no.  At least I don't think so, it's usually a different frame and forks for disc brakes.

Mavic Aksiums are pretty decent wheels and I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace them.  If you are set on it, the usual suspects at that price are Mavic Ksyrium elites or fulcrum racing 3s.  The hunt range is also worth a look (though someone on this gets annoyed when I suggest them)

Latest Comments