Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrading to Sti shifters

Hi there,

First time I've posted so bear with me.

I'm currently riding a 2011 Allez sport with thumb shifters rather than Sti shifters. I want to upgrade to shimano 105 Sti shifters but I'm confused over what components I need to upgrade.

I've currently got a 9 speed cassette, if I upgrade to a 10 speed 105 Sti shifters (see below) would I have to upgrade my cassette as well? Would the derailleur need upgrading too?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5700-sti-double-10-speed-road-lever-...

Finally, would it be worth just upgrading the whole gear set!?

thanks for your valued advice,

Luke

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Carton | 7 years ago
0 likes

IIRC they adjusted the cable pull on the brakes, not the mechs, so the old calipers don't work as well with the newer shifters.  It doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I'd either wait for the cassette to wear out to swap out the whole groupset or go just get some new Sora shifters.

Initialised | 7 years ago
1 like

Shifter and Cassette have too match.
I have no problem running a 105 (10 Speed) derailer with a 9 Speed cassette on Sora shifters so I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way around.

TypeVertigo replied to Initialised | 7 years ago
0 likes

Initialised wrote:

Shifter and Cassette have too match. I have no problem running a 105 (10 Speed) derailer with a 9 Speed cassette on Sora shifters so I don't see why it wouldn't work the other way around.

Yes that's correct.

The shifters effectively are the "brains" of the rear derailleur, so a mismatch here usually doesn't have adverse effects, as long as you get stuff from the same manufacturer.

The fly in the ointment is with the cable pull ratios changing through time, though. I'd love to fit the 105 5800 long-arm front derailleur on my bike, for instance, but I'm told they won't work too well with my 105 5700 STI levers because of the different cable pull (correct me if I'm wrong).

For the OP/threadstarter - Maybe it's worth considering getting a Tiagra 4700 groupset instead? That's 10-speed, so that shouldn't require a rear hub swap, and you'd get most of the benefits of the current 11-speed gruppos (friendlier hood shape, easier shifting long-arm front mech, matching cable pull between shifters and mechs)...apart from the 11th cog.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

This 2011 article on SRAM and Shimano 10 speed shifters using 9 speed derailluers may help answer your question. http://bit.ly/1Wj97JA

The Family Cyclist | 7 years ago
0 likes

Luke if you do go aheaf with this let me know as may be interested in your old shifters as considering putting drops on my town bike

Thanks

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

Price of shifters, casette chain, front mech and cables, will not be far short of s full 105 groupset. (5700) don't get 5800 as it is 11 speed and likely your freehub will not take an 12 speed cassette.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

You will need the STIs, a 10 speed cassette and chain and possibly a front derailleur. Plus new gear wires and housing.

Most 9 speed chainsets will run a 10 speed chain without problems (Shimano use the same rings for both) and a 9 speed rear derailleur can handle 10 speed shifting.

Latest Comments