Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling shoe fit

Right....you can stop your groaning now, because this isn't a width related post (ooh errr) but more about length (phwooaar!)

I'd like to get the collective opinion on just how much wiggle room one should have for the toes in a shoe. I've come to realise that maybe buying a size up, as I would a running shoe, to make room for feet expanding is the wrong way and it's becoming an expensive mistake now. 

So, what should I be looking for in terms of toe room?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

AdamOnSaddle | 8 years ago
0 likes

When it comes to riding shoes length, fit is good IMO. My feets are kinda wide and that's my real problem.

DanTe | 8 years ago
0 likes

My extremely unscientific way of shoe sizing is to see if I can lift my big toe up on top of my second toe. If I can without forcing it then it's usually ok.

Leeroy_Silk replied to DanTe | 8 years ago
1 like

DanTe wrote:

My extremely unscientific way of shoe sizing is to see if I can lift my big toe up on top of my second toe. If I can without forcing it then it's usually ok.

I can't even manage that without shoes on! Trust me, I've just spent the last five minutes trying. 

Bowks | 8 years ago
0 likes

Looks like I've cracked it with a pair of the new Shimano RP9s in a wide fit, but a size smaller than I'd usually buy. If I'm totally honest, I think a half size down would be perfect, but Madison do not import that size.

I have a Custom Fit booked on Wednesday, so looking forward to baked, sous vide feet!

oceandweller | 8 years ago
0 likes

My experience exactly. Running shoes & hiking boots need to be 1 or 2 sizes up (despite all the outdoors equipment shops insisting on measuring my feet & trying to fit me into boots/shoes that fit in the shop - do any of them actually walk or run further than the carpark to the pub?) but cycling shoes have to have a second-skin fit. Otherwise the toes flop around & clipping in becomes a nightmare (coz the shoes don't match the brain's understanding of where the foot is, maybe?). Made this mistake once. Result, nice pair of Mavic shoes gracing the charity shop shelves a month later.

BobbyG | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought my cycling shoes as I would running shoes and now regret it.  There's loads of space between my toes and the end of the shoe and it does nothing but annoy me (and catch my front wheel occasionally).

End of the day, if you're not walking anywhere you don't need to make allowances for the change of foot shape etc usually associated with walking/running.

Latest Comments