Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

centre lock disc problem on my caadx

Hi, I recently upgraded the wheels and discs on my caadx cx bike. As the wheels were centrelock compatible I went for xt centrelock discs. The disc fit perfectly into the mechanical calipers but the thick spider of the discs is fouling the caliper by a few mm preventing the wheel from turning! What would my options be? Add spacers to move caliper out or new calipers that are a different shape? The stock calipers have a large round profile. I'm worried if I move them out part of the pad will miss the disc surface. Also I am keen to upgrade to trp hydro calipers at some stage. Any help appreciated!

Ross

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

jaebinnz | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have had similar problem,centre lock rotor hits BB5 and BB7 caliper parts.

Problem solved by using Deore rotor SM-RT64, this has smaller spider. About 77mm dia.

Looks like Alivio rotor has small spider too

John

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

It could be those calipers aren't meant for centrelock rotors and the only real solution would to be use 6 bolt rotors on centrelock adapters. Or a new mount adapter and bigger rotors, 160mm up front does no harm.
Saying that a few shims under the caliper could lift it enough to clear the spider, just make sure that the pads arn't losing to much contact area.

(Though it's also a good excuse to buy the spyre hydro calipers, seen them on a bike using centrelocks and not aware of any issues.)

rossgalway | 8 years ago
0 likes

see pic

rossgalway | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your reply. The disc fits in the calipers ok, its the thicker spoke part of the disc that hits against the caliper body when I turn the wheel.

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

Without photo's it's difficult to give advice but I will tell you that my new TRP Spyre calliper fouled the spokes of my front wheel by a mm or so.  I bought some disc spacers for about £2 which push the brake a couple of mm in the right direction, solving the problem.

But I think a couple of mm is about the max you can achieve.  Best of luck.

Latest Comments