Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Grauniad

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

Helen Pidd, who writes for the Graun, is actually a "real" cyclist - as an she's is a member of two clubs - and she reviews bikes more thoroughly in the weekend section.  However, this only happens when the regular motoring columnist is away. 

Simon_MacMichael | 8 years ago
1 like

That 'review' makes more sense once you consider it appeared in the print edition (Observer magazine, Sunday). It was underneath a car review, and it regularly puts a bike review there, which in my book isn't a bad thing.

jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

At least there weren't any glaring factual errors - unlike the mention of Paris-Roubaix before last weekend, which told readers that the race "The “Hell of the North”, already a tough battle of attrition, features a new 50km uphill section of pavé as part of its 257km length."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/09/the-agenda-max-whitlock-lou...

L.Willo | 8 years ago
0 likes

My balls have retracted just looking at this review pic:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/27/trayser-electric-bik...

surly_by_name | 8 years ago
0 likes

The only thing surprising about this is that anyone would expect an in-depth review of a bicycle in a newspaper. I imagine if you've made your way to this website/visited a newsagents you are aware that there is a plethora of specialty press that is more likely to provide you with the kind of analysis you are looking for.

Poptart242 | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's more of a sub-article to point out that custom bikes are a thing that exist, and that Bespoked is on soon. Fair enough.

MartyMcCann | 8 years ago
0 likes

To be fair to the Guardian, the last few times they did a proper review of a bike the comments threads were full of gabshites whose only interest in bikes is to complain about "lycra louts" feigning shock about "how much a push-bike can cost" so maybe they just didn't think it worth the effort just to get the same feedback.

Latest Comments