Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dura Ace Pedals - Possibly Broken?

I've been using Dura Ace 9000 pedals for the last 3 years and i've recetly started having an issue with the right pedal. Everytime I look at my foot at the bottom of the pedal rotation it is moving as though it isn't fully secure. The left foot doesnt move at all. I thought it might be worn cleats but after replacing them its still happening. I've even set the tension to the maximum and again it continues to happen.

Has anyone experienced this before? is there anything I can check or do to fix this?  Being Dura Ace i'm hoping they are not knackered after only 3 years.

Thanks

Craig

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

roomservicetaco | 8 years ago
0 likes

If the pedals are two years old and you have never serviced them, they probably just need to be re-packed with grease.  The axle for Shimano pedals holds the bearings and is screwed into the pedal housing.  The axle/bearing system is held in place by a layer of grease.  When the grease disintegrates, the axle can move a bit inside the pedal housing.  

The fix is simple - unscrew the axle, shoot some grease inside the housing, and re-install the axle.  Plenty of Youtube videos will show you how or else the shop can do it in 5  minutes.

I have a bunch of Shimano pedals - road and mtb  [same axle system - the only difference is the pedal body].  Can't say exactly how often they need to be serviced, but I'd guess every 9-12 months, though not surprising that you could make it to 2 years before it becomes as bad as you've experienced.

Good luck.

craig749 | 8 years ago
0 likes

It doesnt look too worn however I think it must be. I clipped both shoes in whilst not on my feet and the left one is firmly in place however the right one is really loose so I think the pedal body must be worn.

I've checked my receipt and they are only 2 years old so will send them back to Shimano and see what they say.

nopants | 8 years ago
0 likes

Is the pedal body worn at the front where the cleat clips in? I've had this happen with old SPD-SL pedals, both metal and carbon fibre. 

craig749 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I did have some clicking but that was coming from the left crank. The noise has now gone after fitting a new Chris King bb the other day  3

I will have a good look at the pedal tonight and check to see if the spindle is moving around. I've just checked and you are right in saying that Dura-Ace has a 3 year warranty so thankfully I can send them back if all else fails.

Thanks for the fedeback  3

Butty | 8 years ago
0 likes

Maybe down to bearing wear, so the spindle is also moving around?

Put your shoe in the pedal and rock it while placing  a finger on the point where the spindle goes into the body.

Can you feel anything shifting?

Do you get any clicking from what you think is the RH crank?

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

There's a 3 year warranty on your pedals, so you may be in luck for a repair and/or replacement. I would remove the culprit pedal and examine it closely. While at it ensure your crankset is torqued to the correct Nm.

Latest Comments