Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice for Cobbled climbs

This Sunday I am riding the Ronde Van Calderdale. For those who don't know, it is a rather hilly sportive that takes in as many steep cobbled climbs as possible around West Yorkshire. I think that over the 75 mile course there is only 200 metres of flat!

My goal right now is survival, but I was wondering if there would be any advantage to be gained by changing my tyres.

I will be riding my winter bike which is a cyclocross so can take a range of sizes. My main tyres when on the road are 25mm Continental 4 seasons but i also have the option of swapping to 35mm Schwalbe Sammy Slicks.

Would the larger tyre and lower pressures help on the cobbled climbs, or would there be any obvious disadvantages? I think that the 4 seasons have better puncture protection.

There have been a couple of notices from the organisers saying that the route is not in the best of conditions in certain places and one climb has been taken off the route for this reason.

If it makes any difference, I'm 76kg and will be riding a 34x28 lowest gear.

Any thoughts very welcome!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

crazy-legs | 8 years ago
0 likes

I did that ride last year on my CX with Smart Sam CX tyres (although the rear was nicely worn to little more than a slick).

Worked perfectly, they're good tyres even on road. My standard Three Peaks set up.

Sharpie | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just a thought, and I don't know how much experience you've got on cobbled climbs, but I was out on a few of these and similar hills last week, including Twaites Brow and Hainworth Lane in Keighley, and it definitely pays to look a bit further up the hill than normal when climbing. The cobbles are in poor condition so it was much easier to 'plot' a better course up the climbs and avoid the very worst areas by keeping my head up.... Everyone has plenty of time to think about the best line going up Shibden Wall!

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you have a GS long cage derailleur, they work upto 32t quite happily. I fitted a 34t to a tiagra derailleur for a mate that had 28t as standard. The only issue, if you can call it that, was it wouldn't cross chain on the 34t. You're not supposed to cross chain any how  1

wodentop | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies - and that larger cassette does sound like a good idea. Trooper lane (19% average on cobbles - https://www.strava.com/segments/3448719?hl=en-GB) looks bad enough, but after nearly 70 miles and 10,000 feet of climbing I'll need all the help i can get!

I currently have an Ultegra 6700 rear derailleur that has 30T stamped on it. Does that mean that i could put a 12-30 on the back? I always thought i was limited to 28.

As for Sammy Slicks, yes they are a CX tyre and do have some very slight tread on the sides. They would wear too fast for use every day on the road, but i thought they may do as a one off to give better traction on the climbs. I'm just a little worried about their puncture resistance on poorly-maintaned roads after the recent flooding.

As any tyre shaving would have to take place indoors i think i may go and take a look wider tyres such as the strada you mentioned. Although the wife did get a new vacuum cleaner last week so may be grateful for another chance to test it out 

P3t3 replied to wodentop | 8 years ago
0 likes

wodentop wrote:

i think i may go and take a look wider tyres such as the strada you mentioned.

You'll love it or you'll hate it - but make sure you go for the tan sidewalls - looks proper pro that does!

If you run your CX tyres at a low enough pressure you won't puncture (its counter intuitive).  

Good luck. 

P3t3 | 8 years ago
1 like

If they are supple, larger tyres and lower pressure will always help, regardless of cobbles or not and they won't even cost you in rolling resistance.  Aren't the sammy slicks a CX tyre with tread on the shoulder though? I don't think I'd fancy riding them hard on the road, cornering in a bunch might be a bit interesting.  I guess one solution is to go out to the man-shed tonight and shave the tyres in preparation 

As an aside - I think you are mad to have clearance for a 35 and then bounce around on a 25 mm tyre! yes  But then I can't understand why the pros run 25 mm tyres on the Robaix and then wonder why half the team gets a puncture, every. single. year.... 

If you want to be converted start with a set of challenge strada bianca 31mms.  I would never go back now and I'd go much bigger if I had the clearance.  

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Using larger tyres will make it far more comfortable over rough stuff. I can agree having gone to 28mm from 25mm., the ride is sublime.
Speed won't be affected that much, comfort is by far the most important consideration. Larger less likely to puncture.

Always use the biggest Cassette you an fit. Being on 75kg 28T should be OK, I would use a 32T but I weigh 95kg  1

Latest Comments