Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheels for chubsters?

I'm no lightweight, and am looking to invest in some good quality strong wheels. I weigh 135kgs, and have been reccomended I get some 36 spoke touring wheels built up.

Anyone else here have strong wheels they can reccomend, or a good wheel builder I could get a few quotes from?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

jezzer | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've had a pair of 36h Mavic Open Pro's on Hope hubs on the hybrid which have been absolutely bomb proof. Haven't touched them in 4 years. Honest.

D-duck | 13 years ago
0 likes

i am a 168 kg rider and i use Mavic Open Pro CD 32 holes with NO problems.Alternativ Mavic CXP33,Just get a very good wheelbuilder

Old Cranky | 13 years ago
0 likes

I can recommend John Poyzer at Priory Marina Cycles near Bedford. He built me a pair of 36 spoke, Ultegra hub, Ambrosio rim wheels.

They're still true after 3 years and have stood up to the cobbles on the Tour of Flanders sportive, the Etape du Tour, many other UK sportives and a collision with a car.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

Harry Rowland (www.harryrowland.co.uk) is a well proven source of top quality handbuilt wheels, as is Paul Hewitt (www.hewittbikefitting.co.uk)

Mavic A719 rims are good value, and Sun Rhynos are about as bombproof as they come if you want something really strong.

Latest Comments