Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

real world experiences comparing Record or Dura-Ace 11-sp cassettes

Hi,

I'm currently running Campagnolo's 2015 11-sp transmission (mix of Chorus and Record). When I originally put the bike together, I put on a Shimano 105 (11-28) cassette mainly for budget reasons, and run a KMS 11-sp chain. Now its getting near to changing the cassette and I'd like to fit something lighter. I can see good prices right now for Record and Dura-Ace cassettes and its got me thinking. The rear hub is fitted for a Shimano cassette but I gather from reading other threads here that I can swap out parts and convert it to Campy. This would be a bit of a hassle but I would be able to fit the Record cassette. Would there be any performance difference comparing the two setups?

thanks,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
1 like

I'm with the above posters here. If you are fitting top of line kit then you are either good enough to be sponsored or wealthy enough to be buying the label. You would save more weight by wearing shorter socks! Not that there is anything wrong with spending money on your hobby or tinkering with stuff that doesn't need fixing. FWIW if the rest of your drivetrain is Campag and you are happy with it then that is what I would standardise to.

madcarew | 8 years ago
2 likes

Real world?

I've raced with both Record and DA. I just love Campy (something beautiful about it) but my experience is that DA shifts better under all circumstances, and is quieter. The previous commenters point about cost is good as 105 cassettes also last considerably longer than DA. I'm a Cat 2 racer (nowadays) and I keep a DA cassette for racing only, and use 105s for training on. If money was no object I'd have Super Record because .... well, just because. 

Latest Comments