Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Battery charging

All

I am doing a long one day event in the summer (300km) and am looking for any suggestions that may assist in keeping my phone going. I want to track on Strava, as I don’t run a Garmin type device, but also want to be able to update the significant other on my progress and take photos etc. The battery life on my phone is poor at the best of times, so this may be struggle without some assistance. This is the only event like this I am planning, so dynamo chargers etc would probably be overkill.

I was just thinking of a portable battery pack stuffed in a jersey pocket, but thought I would pick the collective brain for any other clever ideas.

PS – should I just stop being tight and buy a Garmin? If so, do they work abroad? The event I am signed up to is in Sweden.

Cheers all

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Colclimber | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had the same problem when touring and the solution for me was to buy a Quad Lock for my phone, and replace the bar on my handlebar extender with a waterproof power bank:

http://www.quadlockcase.co.uk/?gclid=CJr9tZCp6MsCFZEy0wodJpkBrQ

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/m-wave-handlebar-organizer-prod32354/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Compact-Waterproof-Dustproof-Compatible-Smartphones/dp/B00K3EUE90

Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

The vätternrundan, interesting challenge. It says its a race, but it looks like a sportive. Hmm, must be something in the translation.

zedthegreat replied to Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Leviathan wrote:

The vätternrundan, interesting challenge. It says its a race, but it looks like a sportive. Hmm, must be something in the translation.

Yeah I think that is just perhaps mixed terminology. It is also billed as "the largest recreational bicycle ride in the world" which doesn't sound very race-like.

With the no of people doing it you are very staggered in starting time. We have approx 20:30, so will be cycling through the night. All part of the fun.......I know I'll not be racing anyone.

Saying that, the most popular time is the first wave, so there will be people wanting to cross the line first. But there always is!

DanTe | 8 years ago
0 likes

I find getting 2 smaller battery packs easier to work with than 1 big one. You can distribute the weight a bit better in your jersey pockets. Very small piece of Velcro tape on the back of the phone corresponding bit on the battery pack with the cable tidied and you can use the phone to take quick pictures without loads of fussing about. Keep the other pack with both bits of Velcro on it, when you need to use it, peel top bit off, stick to phone and put top bit back on used one to stop it fouling your jersey. If that makes any sense. 

If it's gonna be hot, might be worth getting a case for the phone. One of mine in the past turned itself off mid long ride because of a sweat fest..

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

it's not like you need a garmin to find your way, just keep the water on your right and follow the other 20,000 people  1

battery and phone would be fine. you're more likely to enjoy the view!

bendertherobot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just buy a Garmin, the 520 lasts ages. Or, if you want a really really long lasting one, have a look at the Lezyne models.

wycombewheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

FWIW

I have a garmin 510, and I found that didn't quite last long enough on a 300km event, and while I wasn't the first to finish, I was far from the last. I reckon it lasted just over 15 hours, with my total time being 15hrs 40 minutes. So I had to record the last 10 miles on the phone.

So I would suggest a battery pack as a better solution to your problem than a garmin, as the battery pack may well be required in eitehr case.

I plan on getting a battery pack before my next long event, I just need to decide which one to go with.

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
1 like

Quote:

I was just thinking of a portable battery pack stuffed in a jersey pocket, but thought I would pick the collective brain for any other clever ideas

nah. just do that. you should be able to get a 5000mAh battery for a tenner or less, which should be more than enough to get you round vätternrundan (assuming it's that, it's on my bucket list too)

zedthegreat replied to dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

dave atkinson wrote:

nah. just do that. you should be able to get a 5000mAh battery for a tenner or less, which should be more than enough to get you round vätternrundan (assuming it's that, it's on my bucket list too)

That's the one. Was talked into it after a few beers had been taken.....but really looking forward to it!

Latest Comments