Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrading from Sora.....?

I have a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc which was fitted with Shimano Sora as standard (with mechanical discs). The wheels have been changed to Mavic Aksium's.

I am looking to upgrade the now worn groupset to Shimano 105.

Can anyone tell me if this is a straight forward swap?

Thanks, Nick.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

WobblySL4 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies and sorry for not responding sooner, been away for a few days  1

I'm not going to bother upgrading the brakes, quite happy with the performance of the mechanical discs!

Was more concerned about whether the drivetrain could be upgraded easily, and it sounds like it should be quite straightforward smileyyes

carlosdsanchez | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can't fit flat mount disc calipers to a post mount frame/fork, you can get adapters to fit post mount disc calipers to a flat mount frame/fork though. 

kil0ran | 8 years ago
0 likes

As long as your wheels are 11-speed compatible it should be a straight swap if you're sticking with mechanical discs. If you're going full hydro it will probably work out cheaper to buy a new bike and do a frame swap (if you're attached to the frame)

Carton | 8 years ago
0 likes

Pretty sure you're going to need an adaptor for the flat mount calipers on the post mounts. Other than I'd think the only faffing about would be removing a spacer on the rear hub and bleeding the brakes. You are going to need to swap out the entire 9-speed group for the 11-speed group (and mech brakes for hydro brakes) in one go, obviously.

3mkru73 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes. It is.

Latest Comments