Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Need advice !! canyon bikes sizing

Hi everyone!

I am looking to buy a Canyon Aeroad bike.

On the website, they have a size calculator. When I put my measures, it says Medium (56)

I currently ride a look 695 (54)

here are my measurements
176cm 
inseam: 83
arm: 61
torso:59

I am wondering if I should take a small or medium? I joined the canyon GEO

thanks for any advise! It is not easy to buy online

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/13306623/

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm struggling as well!

Looking at an Endurace 7.0 disc, I'm 183cm tall with an inseam of 86cm. Canyon size guide says medium but I think that's more based on my height more than anything. 

I currently ride a 58 CAAD12 but I've rode a 56 as well & didn't feel uncomfortable so probably could get away with either. 

Stack on the Cannondale is 584, on the medium Canyon is 587 but large is 612. Reach on the 'dale is 399, 383 on the medium Canyon & 389 on the large. On paper I'd say the medium is closest to what I have now measurements wise  

However I've always used 175mm cranks which is only on the large Canyon, they are 172.5 on the medium which is putting me off. 

Even though the medium fits me better on paper I'm leaning towards the large as the larger stack will give me a more relaxed position which is what I want as it's a winter bike plus it has 175mm cranks. 

Should I be getting the medium as that's the better fit or am I placing too much emphasis on not having the longer cranks?

DoctorFish replied to ibr17xvii | 5 years ago
0 likes

ibr17xvii wrote:

I'm struggling as well!

Looking at an Endurace 7.0 disc, I'm 183cm tall with an inseam of 86cm. Canyon size guide says medium but I think that's more based on my height more than anything. 

I currently ride a 58 CAAD12 but I've rode a 56 as well & didn't feel uncomfortable so probably could get away with either. 

Stack on the Cannondale is 584, on the medium Canyon is 587 but large is 612. Reach on the 'dale is 399, 383 on the medium Canyon & 389 on the large. On paper I'd say the medium is closest to what I have now measurements wise  

However I've always used 175mm cranks which is only on the large Canyon, they are 172.5 on the medium which is putting me off. 

Even though the medium fits me better on paper I'm leaning towards the large as the larger stack will give me a more relaxed position which is what I want as it's a winter bike plus it has 175mm cranks. 

Should I be getting the medium as that's the better fit or am I placing too much emphasis on not having the longer cranks?

You are the same height as me, but with perhaps slightly longer legs.  I ride a medium endurace and the fit is spot on.  Do you think you will notice 2.5mm difference on the cranks?

ibr17xvii replied to DoctorFish | 5 years ago
0 likes

DoctorFish wrote:

ibr17xvii wrote:

I'm struggling as well!

You are the same height as me, but with perhaps slightly longer legs.  I ride a medium endurace and the fit is spot on.  Do you think you will notice 2.5mm difference on the cranks?

Exactly the question I'm asking myself! TBH I doubt it but never having ridden them I'm not 100% sure.

Although the medium fit looks better measurement wise I want a fairly relaxed position so maybe the greater stack would be better.

Decisions, decisions....

RidesAlot | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I found the website to be misleading about swapping part's for better fit. I found the website to be misleading when they said they would email me when a bike was available. I found the bike to be totally amazing, though.

TelemarkTumalo | 5 years ago
0 likes

You folks are awesome and thanks for the advice.  I will trust their measuring system and go with the recommended size..... when they become available again.  smiley  I'll post back here when I get the bike.

Canyon48 replied to TelemarkTumalo | 5 years ago
0 likes

TelemarkTumalo wrote:

You folks are awesome and thanks for the advice.  I will trust their measuring system and go with the recommended size..... when they become available again.  smiley  I'll post back here when I get the bike.

I've just seen you mentioned the USA based office for Canyon, I assume you're over in the states?

If you are over in the states, this road.cc member posted this on one of the other threads I have been chatting on.

grnbrg wrote:

Keep in mind that Canyon will not swap any parts in the United States.  After reading reviews I was under the assumption that I could swap the cockpit to get the correct fit, but that's not true here.  The support people made all kinds of excuses (i.e. need money to change website (!?) and finance dept won't give it).  They even admitted that the website was misleading.  So many excuses, no actual service.  So the bike goes back to Canyon.

I have no idea whether or not Canyon do swap parts (like the integrated bar stem) over in the US, this is something you should confirm before buying anything - preferably with some sort of email proof!

0 likes

Thanks Canyon48.  I'll likely go with the small.  The other concerns I have are the 170 mm crankarms, the 100 mm stem length, and the 39 cm bar width that comes with the small size.  I understand Canyon does not allow individualization in the parts.  If I could order the 41 cm bar and the 172.5mm crankarms, I'd feel more confident.  I'll check to see if there are any Canyon Demo Days in my area.  Canyon's USA office is in Chino, CA.  I'm in Bend, OR.

Beecho replied to TelemarkTumalo | 5 years ago
0 likes

TelemarkTumalo wrote:

Thanks Canyon48.  I'll likely go with the small.  The other concerns I have are the 170 mm crankarms, the 100 mm stem length, and the 39 cm bar width that comes with the small size.  I understand Canyon does not allow individualization in the parts.  If I could order the 41 cm bar and the 172.5mm crankarms, I'd feel more confident.  I'll check to see if there are any Canyon Demo Days in my area.  Canyon's USA office is in Chino, CA.  I'm in Bend, OR.

FYI, I’m 5ft 5” and sceptically bought a 2XS on Canyon’s sizing recommendation. It’s bang on.

AfterPeak replied to TelemarkTumalo | 5 years ago
0 likes
TelemarkTumalo wrote:

When the bike arrives if you find the handlebars too narrow or stem too short you just email canyon and they will send you out a replacement. When it arrives just pop the old one in the post back to them. I think you have 30days to do this. My personal experience is that the sizing was bang on but I did have to change the stem length. Handlebars I also considered changing but its a faff and actually made no different.

0 likes

This thread is a couple of years old now.  I'm in the market for a new road bike and strongly considering the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0.  I'm 175 cm tall, and Canyon's bike fit calculator results in a small size recommendation.   In fact, it appears I fall right in the center of the small size recommendations based on the fit chart.  It looks like a few other folks on here have debated this issue.  For what it's worth, I currently ride a 55 cm road bike with an 11 cm stem and shallow drop bar (see pic below),  and a 54 cm 'cross bike with a 9 cm stem and compact/shallow drop bar.  My road bike is 11 years old and definitely stretches me out along the top tube.  The 'cross bike is a more comfortable riding position for me.  I'm not interested in a slammed position.  All of my racing dragons have been slain, and my hope is that the Ultimate will give me a combination of light, fast and comfortable.   I realize I'm rambling here, but any input regarding sizing advice and how Canyon helps me select bar width and stem reach.  The Ultimate has the integrated bar and stem.  Very trick looking, but it appears that size selection will be key.  Thanks and enjoy the summer riding.

Canyon48 replied to TelemarkTumalo | 5 years ago
0 likes

TelemarkTumalo wrote:

This thread is a couple of years old now.  I'm in the market for a new road bike and strongly considering the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0.  I'm 175 cm tall, and Canyon's bike fit calculator results in a small size recommendation.   In fact, it appears I fall right in the center of the small size recommendations based on the fit chart.  It looks like a few other folks on here have debated this issue.  For what it's worth, I currently ride a 55 cm road bike with an 11 cm stem and shallow drop bar (see pic below),  and a 54 cm 'cross bike with a 9 cm stem and compact/shallow drop bar.  My road bike is 11 years old and definitely stretches me out along the top tube.  The 'cross bike is a more comfortable riding position for me.  I'm not interested in a slammed position.  All of my racing dragons have been slain, and my hope is that the Ultimate will give me a combination of light, fast and comfortable.   I realize I'm rambling here, but any input regarding sizing advice and how Canyon helps me select bar width and stem reach.  The Ultimate has the integrated bar and stem.  Very trick looking, but it appears that size selection will be key.  Thanks and enjoy the summer riding.

Hi Telemark, I hope I can help.

I'm somewhere between 178 and 180 cm, I bought myself a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0 (great bike) in size Medium.

I used the Canyon size chart and it recommended I buy a small (only just though, I was between small and medium). I prefer a slightly longer stretched out position on my bike. I have quite long arms, so I like a slightly longer top tube. I have the stem totally slammed as well, which looks simply great and I really like the long and low aggressive position. (Also probably worth pointing out that I'm in my early 20's, have good flexibility and good fitness).

I've also ridden my other half's Endurace (size Small, though she doesn't use the women-specific frame). I found that the small Endurace is far too small for me, I feel very bunched up and have an arched back (even swapping to a longer stem wouldn't make me feel at home on the bike).

Based on the information you've provided; being in the middle of the small size, your CX bike feeling comfier and not interested in racing - I would suggest you buy a small Ultimate (but then change the integrated bar stem if you do want something a little racier).

I would suggest that you get a few opinions and maybe try and go to a Canyon demo day - as I mentioned the fit I look for from my Ultimate may be different from yours! However, given that you said your 54cm cross bike is more comfortable, I think it'd be right to go for the 54.3 cm Canyon Ultimate (Small).

prokyon | 5 years ago
0 likes

I just went through the same process - 178cm in height, inseam 86cm and I also have an odd body - 48cm shoulders and 35cm arms (picture Count Dracula with longer legs). I test-rode a bunch of LBS bikes both at 54 and 56 frame sizes - most people told me that I'm in-between size at 55 and that they would recommend a smaller bike - 54 frame with longer stem and larger bars. I felt like I'm on a kid's bike every time I rode a 54 though and was afraid to hit the front brake - too much weight was over the bars. It felt very constricting, but for racing I see their point - better to get a smaller bike which is twitchy and slammed more forward.

Onto Canyon Endurace - their size calculator kept giving me a Small and I wanted a comfortable endurance bike - their Medium Endurace has a 55.3 size frame actually, which seemed perfect for me. The reason the calculator kept giving a small is because of leg size and height - at 178cm I'm between the Small and Medium. I called Canyon and they said that getting a Medium was not unreasonable, since it has more rise to the frame.

So I got a Medium Endurace CF SL 8.0 and started fitting it; I wanted a more upright riding position so I flipped the stem up to +6 degrees. On a Small Canyon Endurace I'd have to get 130mm stem and XL 46mm handlebars (with longer reach) which would be too much for a Small - so I'm glad I got the medium. My overall reach matches a Large actually, so even on a Medium I'd have to move the seat back and get large bars (which also have more reach). I changed the seat to a MTB padded seat (Specialized Henge Comp 155), sloped to 9 degrees and I sit at the back of the seat mostly - my seat post is at 1cm mark; with stock saddle and level seat I'd probably have it at 3cm mark which is not unreasonable for a Medium.

I could get away with a Small if I was racing, but for a more comfortable ride Medium seems to fit me better. All measurements matter in the end, but looks like the frame size is moslty based on saddle height with Canyon, which looking at their website has 3cm overlap - so top 3cm on Small overlaps with bottom 3cm on Medium to give same saddle height, which means that my saddle height would be almost maxed out with stock level seat on Small (making me slammed). OK, I think I'm done giving my perspective - hope this helps!

mrchumbley | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi mikpic

For what it's worth, I've recently ordered (and returned) a Canyon Endurance AL 6.0 - their sizing tool recommended an XS frame (I'm 172cm tall/ 78cm inside leg) - but the bike was too small - knees hit the handlebars when out of the saddle - I should've gone up a size for the S frame.

Just to add a bit of balance - I ordered the bike in February this year, it arrived within 10 working days. Communication - stick to email, I've had no issues (wait times on the phone did seem excessive). Getting the bike collected for the return was no problem at all either. Sounds like I could be among the lucky few tho.

Good luck

chief-o | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi there.
I went through exactly the same process some months ago in trying to woride out which canyon rate side was for me. I am between sizes so it was tough. I went for a bike fit and I also pretty much used every online bike frame geometry calculator and tool I could find l. I also measured my bike meticulously to see what was he closest. I have to say that I spent probably 60 - 80 hours going through that process and at the end.... I was still unsure of the size. I even considered travelling to Germany to try a bike but they didn't have the model. Customer service were crap. I waited I a que for like 45 mins to be given some prerehearsd speech to all people with sizing questions.
In the end as much as I was disappointed at the time I went to my lbs and picked up a bike there. So glad I did that. They were so friendly and helpful and above all I could sit on the bike. I would certainly not buy from canyon mail order if I didn't know exactly the size. Right now I look back and think why did I even bother. I Am super pleased with what I have now and this is partly because it fits and I have a great search vice getting it etc.
My advice is buy local. Who wants a matt black bike these days anyway.  3

mr clipup | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm almost exactly the same size as you (height 176cm and instep 83cm).

I've got a Canyon Endurace which is a medium, on which I have the seat post set to minimum, so I suspect I'm a small medium or a large small and probably could get away with either.

Incidently it took 5 months to get my bike (2 months late in the end) and that was last year before they changed their computer system which caused the current order meltdown! 

Hope this helps!

DanTe replied to mr clipup | 7 years ago
0 likes

mr clipup wrote:

I'm almost exactly the same size as you (height 176cm and instep 83cm).

I've got a Canyon Endurace which is a medium, on which I have the seat post set to minimum, so I suspect I'm a small medium or a large small and probably could get away with either.

Incidently it took 5 months to get my bike (2 months late in the end) and that was last year before they changed their computer system which caused the current order meltdown! 

Hope this helps!

Bearing in mind that the stack on an Aeroad in a S is 2cm lower and the reach 2cm longer than an Endurance in a small...

The Aeroad is a very tricky bike to buy online as I've found out.

DanTe | 7 years ago
0 likes

That dos'nt surprise me. A crack in the frame is just about the only thing that hasn't gone wrong so far. As it happens I wouldn't even mind waiting a few months. C'est la vie..

I can't believe all the lazy journalism flying around. The glowing reviews on sites such as these keep piling in with scant mention of all the crap. When things get this bad the whole ordering/supply system is actually part of the bike.

I guess everybody's worried canyon'll cop the hump and not send them all the bikes to try out.

DanTe | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got an Aeroad. Arrived last November after a series of almost unbelievable f'ups.

I would pay careful attention to the first reply. I could add to that, to the point of putting you off Canyon for life.

BUT it's up to you. Ask yourself if you're prepared to put up with a load of crap that may then get even worse everytime you want something.

If you are then the sizing thing might not be much easier.

I'd get your stack and reach of your current bike if you're happy with that and by S+R I mean of your whole set up not just your frame, pay attention to your current bar reach n drop. Then work from that. If it's a cm or so I would go for the smaller canyon. 

I was inbetween an L and XL. I ordered an L with a 130 stem, they badly buggered the order twice so I cancelled. Unperturbed and on advice of a fitter I bit again on the XL with a 110 stem, thay had that instock and slightly reduced £.

I wish I had held my nerve and stuck out for the L. The XL fits fine but I could drop another 5mm at least but can't as I'm slammed. I'd also like a longer stem but can't as I'm maxed out. The longer stem would put me over the front wheel more which would help as the bikes handling is nearly as fast as the bike itself.

Another prob for me is that the XL looks big, it shouldn't matter but it does.

Make sure you know what you want looks wise. It's a bike that looks and handles better with a longer stem. That top tube is looong.

The problem with the integrated stem is that it needs a full recable to change it.

The problem with canyon is that if you send it off you may never see it again.

To be honest the whole process has been the ultimate disaster, they are a nightmare. BUT it is an amazing bike. That is another problem. 

I almost am hoping a crack develops in the frame so I can send it back and get the large I originally ordered.

If you really want one, are mentally prepared to deal with a probable total fk'up or two or three and get your fit numbers nailed in then there's a chance you'll end up with an amazing bike.

If you're really stuck with the size go with what they say, that way you have leverage to return it. Go against them and they have grounds to get even worse.

Good luck, you'll need it!

contrabland replied to DanTe | 7 years ago
0 likes

DanTe wrote:

I almost am hoping a crack develops in the frame so I can send it back and get the large I originally ordered.

I wouldn't hope too hard for a crack - my mate's been waiting 5 months for a replacement for his cracked frame. I would look elsewhere, Canyon make nice bikes but they're a total mess of a company at the moment, despite what the magazine stories and GCN videos might try to paper over with friendly PR.

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Canyon Ultimate AL in M (56). I'm a bit taller than you:

179cm 
inseam: 85
arm: 67
torso:64

I needed a 120mm stem for it to work out, so I'd hazard a guess it will work for you, as you can always use a shorter stem and move the seat forward a bit.

mikpic | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replys! I might go with the M as they mentioned. Hopefully it is going to be OK!

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Might be worth mentioning roughly where you are and hoping someone pops up with one you could have a sit on. Sizing is a funny thing. I'm 5' 11" and ride a Giant Defy carbon. It's an M/L size which is perfect for me on Giants chart (I'm right in the middle of the range) and it fits great but there's  lot of seatpost. My winter bike is a cheap 58cm size with only about 5-6" of seatpost and I almost prefer the way it feels to ride.

MartyMcCann | 7 years ago
0 likes

It looks like you are the exact same awkward height as me! Awkward because , depending on manufacturer, either a 54 or 56 might work. For example when I was measured in my LBS for my Specialized Allez about 4 years ago my 176cm meant I was suitable for a 54 and a 56 frame- it was only when I sat on each it was apparent the 54 was a better fit but other peoples experience may differ.

I may be wrong (and if so someone will be along to correct me!) but I also think that some manufacturers measure their frames differently so one company's 54 could be another's 56 so perhaps their size calculator might be right- after all companies who operate solely online aren't going to want to deal with lots of returns due to wrong sizes so it is only in their best interests to make sure it gives the right advice. Saying that, what with Canyon's well publicised recent supply issues maybe I am giving them too much of the benefit of the doubt..!

AKH | 7 years ago
0 likes

I ride a Canyon, but not an Aeroad, and I'm a fair bit shorter than you, so I can't offer any specific advice.

Just wanted to let you know, Canyon don't seem to have resolved their well publicised issues with regards to delayed orders. I ordered a replacement derailleur hanger from them 5 weeks ago (delivery estimate 4-6 days), and it only arrive late last week. So just over three weeks late.

Checkout some of the threads on Bike Radar’s forum to see how long some people have been waiting for complete bikes!

Seeing as most of the Aeroad models have a delivery estimate of May-June, you’ll be lucky to ride whatever you order before the end of the summer, unless they sort the problems out.

I don’t want to sound like a hater, as I’m very happy with my Ultimate Al overall, I’ve just been unimpressed with their customer services every time I’ve had to contact them (a couple of times, I won’t bore you with the details).

Back to the Aeroad, can you not compare the stack and reach of your current bike to the Canyon? From what I've seen online, the Aeroad has a very low front end, much lower than the current Look 695 according the the geometry chart currently on Look’s website.

Latest Comments