Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

iPhone 6 warning/advice...!

Morning all,

Just a quick comment regarding what transpires is a very sensitive Moisture Indicator in the iPhone 6...

I am guessing i am like a lot of people who have and use the Strava App on my iPhone, which then gets placed in a pukka waterproof Cycling case, and popped in my jersey pocket for the ride.

I have noticed a very slight build up of condensation in the Case post ride.....slight being the word here! And as it turns out, this condensation has been enough to trigger the internal Moisture Indicator...which renders the phone unusable, and subject to an Insurance claim (successful and pain free, i must add....but still a £75 excess!)

Great Phone, great App....but potentially expensive!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Morat | 8 years ago
0 likes

Go with a Z* compact and a handlebar mount.

You can get a Z1 compact from ebay for less than the cost of a Garmin 500 and you're sorted. You don't have to put a SIM in it if you don't want to, just use it as a bike computer. ANT+ is built in....

Battery life is good too.

jjjono81 | 8 years ago
1 like

If you swap the iPhone for a Sony Z3/4/5 and you won't have a problem or even need to bother with a case as they're waterproof.

jasecd | 8 years ago
1 like

I use a Built neoprene phone sleeve - £5 off eBay. Seems to be breathable and I've never noticed any moisture even when in a jersey pocket under a rain cape for a few hours.

zanf | 8 years ago
1 like

Use some of the silica gel packs that you get in boxes of items, or buy some well known online outlets. You can get a 5 pack of 10g pouches for around £3.

They should contain any moisture build up and stop the phone getting damaged in future.

southseabythesea | 8 years ago
1 like

You could try anti-mist tabs, the ones used in the waterproof housings of 'POV' cameras. Or maybe you need breather holes in the case it's being carried in, unless you go underwater the case doesn't need to be 100% water tight.

AEB | 8 years ago
1 like

Ah, what a shame! Maybe try and get a Garmin 200/500 type thing - about the same price as your excess (second hand) and no issues with the rain!

Latest Comments