Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrading group set

hi,

i have been thinking about updating my current drive train (Shimano sora). My question is....do u need specific shifters/group set components for disc brakes or can u use the same group sets that you can buy for brake callipers? 

ThankS

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

keef66 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you have a frame and fork with a Sora groupset, chances are it's not designed for disc brakes.  Do you have the mounting points for the calipers on the fork leg and rear chainstay?

Ditto your wheelset.  Doubt the hubs will take discs?

I'm guessing if you really want disc brakes a new bike might be the cheapest way of getting them (and sell the old one to finance the purchase?

TypeVertigo | 8 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

You have to decide if you are going to use hydraulic or cable for disc brakes, this will determine the brake lever/shifter. Also the type of mounting the brake calipers use.

Agreed.

For a more direct answer to the question - if you're using mechanical/cable disc brakes or a hybrid system (e.g. Juin Tech R1, TRP Hy/Rd, or other "cable-actuated hydraulic" brakes), the control levers don't have to be anything  special other than what's provided with the groupset.

If you're on full hydraulic disc brakes, you'll need control levers with hydraulic master cylinders in them. They're usually bulkier because of this.

Also worth mentioning: As far as Shimano are concerned, I don't think you have any hydraulic disc brake options outside 11-speed. SRAM now offers their 10-speed Apex gruppo with hydraulic disc brakes.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
1 like

You have to decide if you are going to use hydraulic or cable for disc brakes, this will determine the brake lever/shifter. Also the type of mounting the brake calipers use.

Latest Comments