Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrading my original road bike - help!

Hi all! I'm finally back after a streak of inactivity due to personal issues!

So I've got back riding after a while but I'm stuck on my old, first ever road bike, the Carrera Tdf Ltd 2014! This I because my main baby (Lucile) was written off in a collision I had (I'm fine )

I have had the thought of upgrading the bike because I need a project to keep me entertained while I keep on with my physiotherapy and recovery. The frame, 7005 alloy, is nice to me-lovely and light - I'll weigh it to get exact measurements. It's the wheelset and drivetrain that really weigh it down as well as the finishing kit because they're the stock that it came with, the boring 14 speed.

SO my ideas were that I could buy a higher end wheelset, tiagra groupset (11 speed I'd rather not have on this bike but my main steeds), carbon forks and new finishing kit. I will probably also give the bike a fresh paint. Make it personal!!

This is the general outline of the bike. ***IT ISNT MINE JUST AN EXAMPLE***

Tiagra Groupset

I was this wheel sets like this

Thanks a lot guys

~Toby

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Jacobi | 8 years ago
0 likes

I agree with what Fish_n_Chips said.

For what you'll spend an the Tiagra groupset and the Techlite wheelset, you'd be cheaper buying something new that's discounted in a sale - like the Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2015 road bike  on sale for £637 at Evans Cyles

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-caad8-tiagra-2015-road-bike-EV214033

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think you'll be better off buying a new bike discounted/on sale.

You could snap up a Boardman 2014 with Tiagra on sale due to a new paint 2016 model.

Also reserve one during Easter 10% online and use British Cycling discount for another 10%.

What is your max budget?

Get well soon.

keef66 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If just a winter / training bike then stick a pair of  Shimano R501 wheels on it and some 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyres.  If you need lower gears swap the cassette for one with a 28 or 30t biggest cog.

If you start changing speeds to 8 / 9 / 10 as a minimum you'll need new shifters, chain and cassette, which can be expensive.

The Gavalier | 8 years ago
0 likes

Oh and those wheels are tubulars.

The Gavalier | 8 years ago
0 likes

I agree no point replacing everything bar the frame, and replacing wheels may be tricky as you're having to stick with a 7 speed freewheel. Have a look at what you can get from Merlin Cycles or Decathlon.

Ybot replied to The Gavalier | 8 years ago
0 likes
The Gavalier wrote:

I agree no point replacing everything bar the frame, and replacing wheels may be tricky as you're having to stick with a 7 speed freewheel. Have a look at what you can get from Merlin Cycles or Decathlon.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand that. Surely if I get new wheels and the Axle width is the same it will fit?

Podc | 8 years ago
0 likes

My son has a junior Halfords Carrera Tdf and if I were looking to do any upgrade it would be the wheels and tyres. The roughness of the bearings, the fact that the bearings were stupidly tight when delivered, and the sheer weight of the wheels, means that pretty much any pair of wheels would be an upgrade!

As he is likely to only be using it for a short while until he grows a bit, all we have done is replace the tyres and set the cones correctly so the wheels can at least spin relatively freely.

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

You could get a whole new bike for the money you'll pay for the groupset & those wheels (a brand I've never heard of before)

Tiagra brakes are 49mm short-drop while your TdF may have long-drop (57mm) that provide enough clearance for mudguards, so may not be compatible. You should also check whether the front derailleur mounting is band-on or braze-on.

If it were me I'd run the Carrera as a general/year-round/all-weather bike and put the money towards something new(er) and lighter with a carbon fork and decent spec to begin with. But if you want to freshen it up I'd look at Fulcrum 5 LG / 7 LG or Shimano RS010 wheels and Tiagra 4600 groupset (£220 at Merlin) or Sora 3500 9 speed drivetrain with Tektro R359 57mm calipers.

The very first thing I'd do, if you haven't already, is fit better tyres and Kool-Stop brake pads.

Ybot replied to Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

You could get a whole new bike for the money you'll pay for the groupset & those wheels (a brand I've never heard of before)

Tiagra brakes are 49mm short-drop while your TdF may have long-drop (57mm) that provide enough clearance for mudguards, so may not be compatible. You should also check whether the front derailleur mounting is band-on or braze-on.

If it were me I'd run the Carrera as a general/year-round/all-weather bike and put the money towards something new(er) and lighter with a carbon fork and decent spec to begin with. But if you want to freshen it up I'd look at Fulcrum 5 LG / 7 LG or Shimano RS010 wheels and Tiagra 4600 groupset (£220 at Merlin) or Sora 3500 9 speed drivetrain with Tektro R359 57mm calipers.

The very first thing I'd do, if you haven't already, is fit better tyres and Kool-Stop brake pads.

Thanks for you feedback!
I believe the brakes have the same drop distance?

In fact I'm getting my new steed (Lucille 2.0) soon. I was only looking at modding this for fun and as a winter/training bike. I'd like more gears because I'm moving to extremely hilly terrain!

I have Gatorskins on currently.

Thanks again

Latest Comments