Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Light-Bicycle rims VS ENVE SES3.4

I've been thinking to purchase an ENVE SES 3.4 however its too expensive. Now im considering the LIght-Bicycle 35mm/45mm clincher rims with DT SWISS 350 which cost $1000 AUD compared to $4000. 

Has anyone used Light-bicycle rims, how durable  and are those rims and how long did the braking surface lasted? 

Also what are the advantages of ENVE 3.4 vs Light-bicycle beside warranty.? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

WinterRacer | 8 years ago
0 likes

In the dry they're just as good as alu, a bit worse than alu in the wet.  

WinterRacer | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've built a a few pairs of wheels based on Light Bicycle Carbon rims.  I use the 38mm U shared carbon clinchers which are tubeless compatible and moulded in spoke holes.

I think the'yre really well made, being very round and true out of the box.  They're light and stiff and I guess they're aero.  I can only compare them to alu rims as I don't have experience of other carbon clinchers, but I think they're very good.  I certainly wouldn't spend the extra on Enve...

rave81 replied to WinterRacer | 8 years ago
0 likes

WinterRacer wrote:

I've built a a few pairs of wheels based on Light Bicycle Carbon rims.  I use the 38mm U shared carbon clinchers which are tubeless compatible and moulded in spoke holes.

I think the'yre really well made, being very round and true out of the box.  They're light and stiff and I guess they're aero.  I can only compare them to alu rims as I don't have experience of other carbon clinchers, but I think they're very good.  I certainly wouldn't spend the extra on Enve...

How do you find their basalt braking surface?  

Nixster | 8 years ago
1 like

Both of the OP's options are deep section carbon rims, he was asking about quality not alu versus carbon I think...

I've just got some wheels from Far Sports which are 38mm front/50mm rear x 25mm wide but tubular rather than clincher.  In chosing those dimensions I had the Enve wheels you mention in mind.

They are stiff and light (1285g), appear fairly well built (if not perfectly true out of the box) and so far no issues with braking.  Running 25mm Conti competition tubs they're pretty comfortable, the tubs seem to take the edge off the stiffness of the wheels.  They perform well in cross winds and I've taken off 300g in weight versus the Shimano RS80s with GP4000 clinchers that were on before.

Compared to the broadly similar wheels from Enve I'm losing out on the R&D on aerodynamics that Enve will have done.  I have no evidence at all that they perform better than the RS80s in that respect.  Warranty as you say, probably quality control on rims.  At $4,000 I think the Enves probably have better hubs than the Bitex lightweight ones I have although I have CX-ray spokes so good materials there.

Are they faster than the RS80s?  In all honesty I'm not sure yet but they sure aren't any slower and the light weight and stiffness is good on the hills.

Overall I would recommend them but don't expect them to add 10% to your average speeds although the $4000 Enve wheels won't either.  Also be aware that you're not getting $4000 wheels for $1000.  In the end I think it comes down to how much you're prepared to spend in pursuit of increasingly marginal improvement.

rave81 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have you used those Cosine wheelset before and what brand of hubs are they using? 

Light-bicycle can make me a 45mm clincher wheelset with CX-ray bladed spokes, brass nipples and DT swiss 350 for $1,100 AUD. 

How good are those basalt braking surface? 

I am currenly using Mavic R-sys 2015 wheelset. it flexes too much during sprinting. 

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

Agreed. Nothing wrong with deep section wheels for all sorts of riding . If you want to and you can afford, then go for it

Also a note on longevity: Alu rims will actually wear faster than carbon - though of course they're cheaper to replace than their carbon equivilents.

I've no idea if 'tubeless rims are more comfortable and faster than expensive carbon rims' and doubt whether there's any science to back that up.

Of all the factors, stiffness is  important in determining how a wheel 'feels', especially if you are a heavier rider.  A deep, wide, carbon rim on 25-28mm tyres, inflated for comfort, might hold speed well at 25+ mph on the flat but probably won't feel as reactive as a shallower, stiff, (cheaper!) alu wheel, sprinting or climbing, even if that aluminium wheel is heavier. That said, you probably can get close to 'having it all' - IF you are prepared to spend £££.

pablo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Rubbish.  If you want to ride faster day to day and you can hold a decent speed nothing wrong with going deep section it's a great feeling.  I don't think I'd be investing in enve for day to day tatting around a little to rich for me but if you have the cash why not! I did look at light bikes a while back but with the long distance thing I decided not to and went another route.  The new Mavic range is looking nice might be worth a look I'm a little bit tempted by them but need to do more research first.  

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Deeper rims will in theory allow you to carry a little(emphasis little) extra speed due to better Aero capabilities. Rim longevity is subjective to how much braking you do and how hard you need to use brakes. Get the cheaper alloy rims. I believe the benefits are marginal for road riding, from one rim to another. Get tubeless rims and go tubeless will give more speed and comfort over expensive carbon rims.
Look here at Wiggle's own brand
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/wiggle-launches-own-bran...

Aero is for racing, timetrial or tri Athlon.

Latest Comments