Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replacing 11-32 Cassette on Touring Bike

Hi there guys,

Fairly new to this so go easy. Looking to replace my chain and cassette after a year of service to try and get gear shift a bit smoother.

On a bit of a budget as I've just gone back into education. Initially I was searching for Tiagra 10 speed cassettes and seeing they're only £12.49 http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-10-spd-tiagra-4600-cassette?gclid=... however I see this is an 11-25.

Moving from 11-32 to 11-25 is going to make things a lot harder for me from what I'm used to when it comes to the big hills right..? I know there's a bit of an attitude about a 32T on the back but I have used it in sportives in the past and would like to keep it really..

Has my original cassette been a MTB cassette as I've seen some suggesting online? Would such a MTB specific cassette be incompatible with by bike? Can anyone suggest any replacements that don't break the bank?

I assume this is the original cassette: http://www.amazon.com/SUNRACE-Mountain-Cassette-11-32-Shimano/dp/B00P6EQ9NW

Also I see from the original spec list I don't need a 10 speed chain on a 10 speed bike??? Can anyone shed any light on that? I assume I am limited to 20 gears.

For what it's worth I guess it's also rare that I use the 11T.

Bike is a 2015 Fuji Sportif:

Front Derailleur Shimano Tiagra
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed
Number of Gears 20
Shifters Shimano Tiagra, STI, 10-speed
Chain set Oval Concepts 520, forged 6066 arms
Chain rings 50/34T
Bottom Bracket Oval Concepts, BB86 press-fit
Cassette SunRace, 11-32T, 10-speed
Chain KMC X11, 11-speed

Thanks in advance,
Rich.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

The Gavalier | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for new cables. It'll feel like dura ace in comparison.

wycombewheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

£11 - 32 105 (5700) casette is available for £18.50.

I would only consider a 25 if
A) I was a pro
B) I lived in East anglia or Holland
C) my chainset was a triple (30/39/54)

MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bent my friggin derailleurs out the other day didn't I. Option of paved steps or paved declining slope, in cleats. Got off. Tried to walk bikendown slope in a moment of complete fuckwittery. Dumbest moment of 2016 lol.

So glad I'm getting a professional to look it over and adjust gears with cassette change.I'll make sure they give it a good skoosh too that's a great tip.

If I put as much time into learning mechanics as I do price matching and browsing bits, well then I really would be dangerous!

harrybav | 8 years ago
0 likes

My shifting improved no end when I skooshed all the moving bits with thin oil and also skooshed the bit under the bottom bracket where the cables run exposed over plastic runners. 

MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Due to noisy shift and chain jump, and an inadequetly maintained drivetrain over Winter, I'm having cassette and chain changed on Wednesday, many thanks for the advice though it will come in useful in future when I embark on these sort of jobs myself.

I've had to get a Tiagra 4601 chain for a couple reasons, but I am expecting performance to be much smoother and more pleasant than it has for a good while anywho so I'll be happy, even if my chain isn't multicoloured..

I'll report back on any shift lethargy following the change later in the week.

Simon E | 8 years ago
1 like

Chain / cassette wear usually causes jumping or noisy shifts rather than very lethargic shifts. Your symptoms sound like dirt in the rear gear cable loop (very common). Replacing this is not that same as fitting a chain or cassette. Did the shop not replace the cables when they serviced it?

KMC X10-93 chains are cheap and very good (ebay link - a reliable seller) but it's worth getting a chain checker or use a steel rule to measure the distance between 12 links (24 pins) when placed under load. A new chain should be 30.48 cm or exactly 12". When it is longer than 30.7 cm or 0.75 % wear it's time for a new chain. If you change the chain early enough your cassette will last longer.

To fit a cassette you'll need a chain whip and cassette tool, a good investment IME. Instructions at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WxxDo4CvY

Replacing cables isn't difficult either - you need an inner, some outer and some good pliers or cable cutters. Note that gear and brake wires (and their respective outers) are not the same.

sergius | 8 years ago
1 like

Just be aware that assuming you are planning on swapping these yourself, you'll likely end up buying a Shimano cassete tool and a chain breaker as well.  I've the Park versions of both which are great albeit I'm sure there are much cheaper options.

I've swapped the chain on my 2012 Tiagra 10spd setup a few times now, it's a 10 minute job with the right tools.  With a decent TLC routine I get 2-3000km out of a chain - I've not worn out a cassette yet - though I did buy a new 105 10 spd cassette when I bought some upgraded wheels for that bike - so both cassettes have about 5000km on them by now.

Basically all of these parts are realitively inexpensive, as long as you have the tools to swap them yourself.

I'd second the comment about cables btw, you can get a full replacement set of Jagwire cables for £20 off of Wiggle.  I found it a useful learning experience swapping them all (do get a decent cable cutter though), and it greatly improved the shifting quality after I replaced the 3 year old cables on that bike a few months back.

pockstone | 8 years ago
0 likes

Good God! That red chain is going to make you go fast!

MadHatter | 8 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks as always some really helpful repsonses here.

With regards your post Pockstone, last time I had my bike serviced I was advised that cassette and chain would need replacing and they would be responsible for some slow shifting. I had a conversation with a different shop regards shifting and they had a quick test of it in the stand, it was shifting fine and they thought maybe I was half-shifting or whatever you call it, by accident.

However there are occaisions where I'll shift down, continue pedalling noticing very little difference but forget about it and then 20 seconds or so later the bike will sort of just.. clang into that selected gear unexpectedly. Which can be quite dangerous.. This problem was apparent prior to the last service and neither they nor the shop that quickly checked in the stand could find the problem so I guess it is intermittent..

I see that indeed chainreaction do have the Tiagra 11-32 cassette which is probably what I'll go for in time, but from what I'm hearing you guys say the issue is perhaps not with the cassette. It's my understanding though that letting a cassette/chain deteriorate is okay to a certain point, beyond which the added wear will begin to damage the chainrings.

Cartons link was nnot working for me, but the chainreaction Tiagra 10 spd 11-32 is here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-hg500-10-speed-road-ca...

SRAM PG1030 10 Speed MTB  is http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-pg1030-10-speed-mtb-cassette/rp-...

So you say that these are a straight swap. Spacing (I assume the difference between the number of teeth on each sprocket, cog (which term?) is the same. Hub fitment I do not know what this is.

With the following, it begins and ends at the same points, but from what I see it has more options at the smaller end and then a jump the larger (cog/sprockets)? I'm guessing the difference here will only be what I'd expect to find, gearing will jump up massively at one point but it would allow you to maintain a better cadence at cruising/fast speeds?

Shimano SLX HG81 is https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-hg81-10-speed-cassette-49512.ht...

For all the long windedness I think I will go for the Tiagra HG500 and maybe this chain.... looking for someone to tell me the red paint will make the bike go faster.. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-x10-vivid-10-speed-chain/rp-prod1...

Thanks for the help.

pockstone | 8 years ago
2 likes

Re-reading your post, are you sure a good service/ re-index and clean and lube of the cables, along with a new chain won't solve your problems? Check the hang of your derailleur too.  Doesn't take much of a knock to put the cage out of alignment in my experience.

pockstone | 8 years ago
1 like

I'm loading my Pinnacle Arkose up with some panniers for a spot of camping/light off road and have found a 30 tooth cassette not quite easy enough for rocky moorland tracks. (  Shame on me!)

I've just fitted a Tiagra 34 tooth cassette along with Alivio T4000 (?) 9 speed trekking derailleur after spotting a comment on Wiggle's website. Seems to work OK with my 10 spd 105 shifters, if a bit noisy on the jockey wheels in the 11 speed cog.  Total cost under 40 quid. I'm pretty sure Chain Reaction or Wiggle have a Tiagra 10 spd 32 t cassette at a reasonable price. (As per Carton above). Good luck.

FMOAB | 8 years ago
1 like

Don't get hung up about descriptions of "mountain" or "road" cassettes, there's no such thing really.  The Shimano SLX HG81 11-32 10 speed is £23 at Merlin, £21 at Chain Reaction.

SRAM PG1030?  Same 11-32 range as your old cassette, a bit dearer than the Tiagra at £28 from both Wiggle and Chain Reaction.  Same spacing and hub fitment as Shimano, so a straight swap.  

Both of these should shift a little better than the SunRace, but maybe that's just me being unfair to SunRace.

Personally, I would use a 10 speed chain with a 10 speed setup.  You can probably get away with using a 9 speed, but why would you?  Despite Shimano's protestations, any 10 speed chain will work - and you usually get a nice quick link with their competitors rather than a pin.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
1 like

New chain and cassette will improve shifting experience. Keeping your chain in good order and lubricated will keep shifting smooth as possible. Unless you move upto 105, or Ultegra kit, gear changes will be a little less smooth. Kmc chains are excellent 10 or 11 speed. If you need 28 and 32t don't buy anything smaller.
It matters not if you use mtb parts on a road bike.
I made a setup on the wife's shopping bike which she loves but can't ride up Hills. It has 11-36 Cass, mtb derailleurs and shifters, works beautifully  1

Carton | 8 years ago
1 like

Gear shifting isn't going to change significantly unless the cassette is really worn, at which point the chainrings might become an issue as well. You are going to get slightly better shifting from a Shimano cassette on a Shimano drivetrain. But going from a 32T to a 25T bailout gear is going to be brutal if you do any type of hills, particularly on a tourer. An MTB cassette will be just as well, however, your mid-cage derailleur isn't going to work past a 32T, and as MTB cassettes have gotten wider, it's hard to get an 11-32 10 speed Shimano one. So I'd say stick to your original thought and get an  11-32 Tiagra  one online: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-tiagra-hg500-10-speed-road-ca...

Do shop around, but even if it was £40 extra I'd take the 32T over 25T for my riding, never mind £4. On the chain, you're better off with the 10 speed chain than the 11 speed. Cheaper and probably a bit more durable. Do swap the chain if you're getting a new cassette.

Latest Comments