Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Comparing bike geometry

Hello!

I'm in the midst of searching for a new bike and have a few questions that you fine folks might be able to answer. So far I quite like the look of the new cube agree c62 disc, which on paper certainly fits the bill. The only thing holding me back is that there aren't any available to test ride at the moment (there haven't even been any out for review as far as I can see). So I thought I would be clever and find another bike that matches the geometry as closely as possible and take that for a test ride.

As far as I can tell, the trek emonda seems to have an almost identical geometry to the new cube agree (looking at a size 56). This confuses me slightly, as the cube is billed as a sportive-friendly endurance bike, whereas the trek is more of an aggressive racer. Yet the numbers seem to suggest they are the same. Am I missing something? Can you simply compare bikes with similar stack and reach or is there more to it than that?

Would you be happy enough ordering a bike without a test ride and just looking at the geometry on paper? 

Also if anyone has any alternative suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

pruaga | 8 years ago
0 likes

Depends a lot on whereabouts you are in the country and how much cash you are prepared to spend, but something like this might interest you?

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/800/cyclist-track-day

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've bought both my bikes sight-unseen, you can potentially save a lot of money that way.  You need to roughly know what you need though - the length of the top tube is the key measurement for me.  For the most part your comfort will be determined by how stretched out and low you are.

Manufacturers like Rose have some fairly reasonable bike fitting tools on their sites - they have to as they only deal online.  When I bought my last bike I went with what their tool recommended in terms of frame size and stem length - even though it was longer than I thought I needed (my old bike is a 56 frame with a 90mm stem and 42 cms bars - adjusted after a bike fitting), I picked up a 58 with a 100mm stem and 44 cms bars - expecting that I'd have to send some bits back - but it fits me just fine.  

Within reason, your body will adjust to a new frame position pretty quickly in my experience as long as its not way out.  The key thing for me is saddle and cleats position - those you dont want to mess around with once they are right.

Mikey-simmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Choosing a bike looks like a minefield.  I'm looking for a sportive bike but can't look at anything physical just numbers on paper. 

I was looking at the trek emonda and comparing it to the Domane only I can't ride the latter because they've sold them. 

Ive looked at reach and stack heights  and looking for short reach and high stacks for comfort and the reverse for race geometry. Is this right? 

Any suggestions for a or a domane alternative I might be able to ride? 

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Doesn't Trek have two different fits for all their range? H1 and H2??

If it's not much more than 5mm different in any dimension it's probably going to fit you fine.

Beware though, you can't easily adjust reach, if it's too long for you.

chrislee99777 | 8 years ago
0 likes

smiley

Latest Comments