Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc Brake Wheels - for Merida carbon ride 5000 disc

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

wjmarks | 8 years ago
0 likes

KiwiMike - I have to agree, a year on I am only seeing now how poor the OEM wheels are.

I took the plunge last night and ordered the JRA Jawbones, TBH i had been looking at them for a while and I just hope now ive made the right decision. I'll update the post when I get them!

Could yous also recommend a good 6 bolt disc rotor to go with them!

chrislee99777 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Don't like

KiwiMike | 8 years ago
0 likes

OP, *anything* will be better than the OEM wheels. I tested the Ride 5k last year, and liked it so much I purchased the bike.  But at circa 2.3kg with cheese for bearings, the wheels have to go.

Into a skip, ideally.

I rode the Kinesis Discs last year too, during the Kinesis GF Ti Disc review. Really liked them.

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

For what it's worth I am very pleased with my ksyrium disc (not pro). Perhaps not high end enough for your bike but it's improved mine hugely from the stock wheels; they have brass nipples which I consider important in this wet country and they were not hugely expensive.

wjmarks | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dave the Pro Lites look good and I will consider them when making my final choice.

Price is the main consideration for me and hence value for money, i dont want to spend over £500 if possible.

Ive had a look at these and they certainly look good VFM, within my pricerange and have got great reviews

http://www.justridingalong.com/jra-jawbone-wheelset-with-pacenti-sl25-ri....

Any views on these?

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd recommend:

Pro Lite Revo A21 (http://road.cc/content/review/178938-pro-lite-revo-a21w-centerlock-disc-...)

Worth a look:

Kinesis 700c Disc

DT Swiss R-32 Spline 

Gasman Jim | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've had 3 different pairs over the past 4 or 5 years, all with aluminium rims & standard quick releases.

Hope Pro hubs on Mavic Open Pro rims. There were no dedicated road disc wheels when I first built up a road bike with discs. These were "solid" (heavy!).

Reynolds Stratos Pro disc. Lighter & more aero, but poor spoke tension, needed re-truing, front hub bearings developed play quickly.

Ksyrium Pro disc. The Ksyrium's are head & shoulders above the others. Lighter, stiffer, faster.

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

How much are you wanting to spend?

What are your criteria: Looks, weight, robustness?

What kind of tyres do yo want to use: width, tubeless, tubular, clinchers?

Are you willing to build or do you want to buy complete?

Material: Carbon, alloy, cheese?

You may (may) get a slightly more helpful response, maybe even from somebody who actually has a valid opinion about these types of thing.

wjmarks | 8 years ago
0 likes

Glad I posted here for advice!

chrislee99777 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't like Merida......

davel replied to chrislee99777 | 8 years ago
2 likes

chrislee99777 wrote:

I don't like Merida......

cool story bro

Latest Comments